Splunk Search

Remove field values from one multi-valued field which values are present in another multi-valued field

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove field values from one multi-valued field which values are present in another multi-valued field

Looking for something like:

| eval dest=mvfilter(if(dest IN email_sender, null(), dest))

Here dest contains both sender and receiver of the email. hence I'm trying to exclude the sender from it.

(FYI, the sender is also a multi-valued field that's because I've used stats before it.)

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use mvmap. See this example

| makeresults count=1
| eval dest=split("User1,User2,User3,User4,User5",",")
| eval sender=split("User3,User7", ",")
| table sender dest
| eval dest=mvmap(dest,if(isnull(mvfind(sender,dest)),dest,null))

last line removes 'User3' from the dest field as it's one of the senders.

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I'm not mistaken, mvfilter() does just that.  You can use mvmap() to iterate over email_sender.

| eval dest=mvmap(email_sender, mvfilter(isnull(mvfind(dest, "^" . email_sender . "$"))))

The mvfind() expression assumes that each email_sender would match the exact spelling if it appears in dest.

Tags (2)

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks @yuanliu. Logically I thought this should work but somehow mvfilter doesn't want to work. Anyways it worked with @bowesmana answer without mvfilter.

VatsalJagani_0-1657089389258.png

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think I know why mvfilter gives error.  mvfilter requires its argument to only involve one multivalue variable.  But because of mvfind, it now involves both dest and email_sender, even though email_sender is actually single-valued inside the mvmap iterator.  In fact, mvfilter will parse to error even if email_sender is genuinely single valued.

There might be some roundabout way to turn email_sender into a pattern substitution instead of a variable, but that is in itself too convoluted.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@yuanliu - Yeah, mvfilter can reference only one field, the rest should be only string/pattens.

The expression can reference only one field.

(From doc - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SCS/current/SearchReference/MultivalueEvalFunctions)

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use mvmap. See this example

| makeresults count=1
| eval dest=split("User1,User2,User3,User4,User5",",")
| eval sender=split("User3,User7", ",")
| table sender dest
| eval dest=mvmap(dest,if(isnull(mvfind(sender,dest)),dest,null))

last line removes 'User3' from the dest field as it's one of the senders.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...