Splunk Search

Regmon filters not working

jambajuice
Communicator

I'm trying to monitor the registry and filter on a few critical keys. When I look at the events, I'm seeing events from outside the keys specified in my filters. Not sure what the problem is...

Here is my sysmon.conf:

[RegistryMonitor]
filter_file_name = regmon-filters
event_types = set.<em>|create.</em>|delete.<em>|rename.</em>
inclusive = 0
disabled = 0

Here is my regmon-filters.conf:

[Run]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Run\.*
type = set|create|delete|rename
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[RunOnce]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[RunOnceEx]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[User-Shell-Folders]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[Shell-Folders]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Startup\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[ShellExecuteHooks]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[SharedTaskScheduler]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[ShellServicewObjectDelayLoad]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[arpcache]
proc = .*
hive = \REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\app management\arpcache\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[shellopencommand]
proc = .*
\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\.<em>\shell\open\command\.</em>
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

[ExplorerRun]
proc = .*
\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWAREMICROSOFT\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run\.*
baseline = 0
disabled = 0

Thanks for any help!

Craig

Tags (1)

thall79
Communicator

If you haven't tried Splunk 4.2.2 they have updated splunk_regmon.exe and able to monitor the keys I wanted.

travis.

0 Karma

thall79
Communicator

Had the same problem when trying to setup regmon filters like yours. Found that I had to add the following to the &SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\search\local\regmon-filters.conf ( or wherever you have your regmon-filters.conf located with the above info).

[User keys]
disable = 1
proc = \\Device\\.*
hive = \\REGISTRY\\USER\\.*

[Machine keys]
disable = 1
proc = \\Device\\.*
hive = \\REGISTRY\\USER\\.*

This kept those 2 filters from running, but my problem now is that I only get my first filter to work. For example your [Run] filter that is defined would be the only results I would see. Whats even worse I labeled my filters all that same [Machine keys] it would give me events for the last one.

I am still working on it to see if i am doing something wrong, but my regmon-filters.conf looks very similair to yours and I am trying this with Splunk 4.1.6 on a Vista 32bit machine for testing.

Travis.

0 Karma

thall79
Communicator

After some more work I found that in sysmon.conf you can set active_filter = "Run", "RunOnce", "rest of your filters" and you will not need the User & Machine key entries in regmon-filters.conf like I had above. With this setup I am able to get a baseline, but it will not see any changes that I make to the registry. Still looking into it.

0 Karma

thall79
Communicator

Ok I take that back on which filter gets used. From Splunk Web - manager - data inputs - registry monitoring the first one listed seems to be the one that gets used.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...