Splunk Search

Regex to find a directory in a path

rileyken
Explorer

I have these paths as sources for an index (the paths are linux file system paths)

/usr/local/myfiles1/myfacilityA/Debug/ADT/ADT_2019-07-30.txt
/usr/local/myfiles2/myfacilityB/Debug/ADT/ADT_2019-07-30.txt
/usr/local/myfiles1/myfacilityC/Debug/ADT/ADT_2019-07-30.txt

i would like to be able to extract "myfacility" as a field so I can search for all of the events with that source path.

It would be fantastic to just capture everything between the /usr/local/myfiles? and the /Debug/ADT/ADT....

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jaime_ramirez
Communicator

For myfacility field:

| rex field=source "\/usr\/local\/myfiles\d+\/myfacility(?<myfacility>.*?)\/Debug\/ADT\/"

And for everything between the /usr/local/myfiles? and the /Debug/ADT/ADT:

| rex field=source "\/usr\/local\/myfiles(?<myfacilityPath>.*?)\/Debug\/ADT\/"

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bwlm
Path Finder

If you would like to avoid cumbersome regex rules and are just looking for the fourth directory (or 0-4 directory path) you may want to consider the Splunk Multivalue eval functions "mvindex", "split", and "mvjoin" to do the work for you... note that the "nomv" commands are optional in most cases.

| makeresults
| eval filepathname="/usr/local/myfiles1/myfacilityA/Debug/ADT/ADT_2019-07-30.txt"
| eval Dir4=mvindex(split(filepathname,"/"),4,4) 
| nomv Dir4
| eval Dir0to4=mvjoin(mvindex( split(filepathname,"/"),0,4), "/") 
| nomv Dir0to4

0 Karma

rileyken
Explorer

This was just what I was looking for! Thanks Jamie

0 Karma

jaime_ramirez
Communicator

For myfacility field:

| rex field=source "\/usr\/local\/myfiles\d+\/myfacility(?<myfacility>.*?)\/Debug\/ADT\/"

And for everything between the /usr/local/myfiles? and the /Debug/ADT/ADT:

| rex field=source "\/usr\/local\/myfiles(?<myfacilityPath>.*?)\/Debug\/ADT\/"

Hope it helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...