Splunk Search

Regex/timestamp question

Branden
Builder

Hello!

Given an event like this:

PSMONITORSRV.32876010 (0) [09/15/12 09:16:20](3) PSJNI: Created a Java VM instance

I have two questions:

1. What is the regex for extracting just the message? The message in this case is "PSJNI: Created a Java VM instance". I can sorta get it to work, but it keeps capture the timestamp in the message as well.
  2. How do I tell Splunk to index the event based on the time in the event's timestamp, and not on the time it was actually indexed? 99.9% of the time the two are the same, but once in a while there's a difference, and I'd rather Splunk index based on what the event says.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion
  1. Just given one event, it's not easy to give a regex that will always work. Try rex to find a regex that will match the correct part of the event. The following might work for you.

... | rex "^(?:\S+\s+){3}(?<msg>.*)$"

2. If Splunk does not capture the timestamp in the event correctly, you may have to edit the props.conf on the splunk server where the PARSING takes place. Normally that would be the Indexer, but if you have Heavy Forwarders, that's where you would make the configuration.

props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
TIME_PREFIX = \[
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 40

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion
  1. Just given one event, it's not easy to give a regex that will always work. Try rex to find a regex that will match the correct part of the event. The following might work for you.

... | rex "^(?:\S+\s+){3}(?<msg>.*)$"

2. If Splunk does not capture the timestamp in the event correctly, you may have to edit the props.conf on the splunk server where the PARSING takes place. Normally that would be the Indexer, but if you have Heavy Forwarders, that's where you would make the configuration.

props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
TIME_PREFIX = \[
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 40

Hope this helps,

Kristian

Branden
Builder

Thank you as well for your response. I plan to give these a try later today. Thanks again!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

🙂 indeed

MHibbin
Influencer

🙂 we should stop meeting like this

MHibbin
Influencer

Regex (assuming general format stays the same): "\[\d+/\d+/\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\]\(\d+\)(?P<yourField>.*)$"

You can test regular expressions on you data using the following web-based tool: http://gskinner.com/RegExr/

For timestamp recognition you should look at the following docs: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Configuretimestamprecognition

So for example for you data sourcetype you could configure something like:

[yourSourcetype]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = <integer>
TIME_PREFIX = <regular expression>
TIME_FORMAT = <strptime-style format>

External resource for strptime format: http://linux.die.net/man/3/strptime

Branden
Builder

Thank you for your response. I will give this a try and report back!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Oh dear..... not again...

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...