Splunk Search

Regex from EventCode 7035

MrWh1t3
Path Finder

I am trying to create a regex that will parse a portion of a sentence within a Windows Log event.

As an example, EventCode=7035 generates the following:

The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was.....sent a start
The Network Connection service was....sent a stop
The HTTP service was....sent a start
The HTTP service was....sent a stop
etc...

What I would like to parse out is, just the information between "The" and "service" and also the words start or stop.

That way I can build a list of services there were started or stopped.

So far I have:

EventCode=7035 | dedup Message | rex field=Message "(?i)="The (.*?) service .*? (start|stop)"

It doesn't seem to be working like I want. I would like it to output into table format along with the ComputerName Extracted_Service_Name and whether or not it was started or stopped.

Thoughts on this?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

EventCode=7035 
| dedup Message 
| rex field=Message "The (?<Extracted_Service_Name>.*?) service was .*? sent a (?<Action>start|stop)"
| table ComputerName Extracted_Service_Name Action

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Another concern I have - what if a service was started and stopped several times within your search time range? Because you are de-duping the Message, you would only see one start and one stop. Is this what you want? It would also be possible to count the number of starts/stops if you didn't dedup...

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

EventCode=7035 
| dedup Message 
| rex field=Message "The (?<Extracted_Service_Name>.*?) service was .*? sent a (?<Action>start|stop)"
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

To get rid of the blanks,

EventCode=7035
| dedup Message
| where Extracted_Service_Name!=null()

But can you show an example of an event where it extracted blanks? I wonder if the regular expression could be better...

0 Karma

MrWh1t3
Path Finder

It picks up a few "blank" Extracted_Service_Name, but I think this will be, ok. I really appreciate it. I also see where I was going wrong. Thanks a lot!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...