Splunk Search

Querying auth failures using ldapsearch and inputlookup

lbnsam

Hello there,

There are a couple of queries that I use to search for authentication failures on members of high-privileged groups. After testing, I noticed that the query is hit-and-miss. Specifically, if I reduce the number of groups in the search, it is more accurate. The structure of the query is as follows:

source="wineventlog:security"  EventCode=4625 AND (dest_nt_domain="Domain_Name") [| ldapsearch domain=Domain_Name search="(objectClass=group)"
| search cn="Domain Admins" OR cn="Administrators" OR cn="Print Operators" 
| ldapgroup
| rename member_name AS Account_Name | table Account_Name | format ]
| stats count by user

Note: The number of groups is around 200 or so.

My approach has been to place all of the groups in a csv file to be used as a LUT. However, I am having trouble combining the inputlookup command and the ldapsearch command. They are both required to be the first command in a search.

Any ideas are appreciated.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
 source="wineventlog:security"  EventCode=4625 AND dest_nt_domain="Domain_Name"
| stats count by user
| ldapsearch domain=Domain_Name search="(sAMAccountName=$user$)" attrs="sAMAccountName, cn"
| table sAMAccountName, cn, count

Hi,I'm sorry if the object class name is different

0 Karma

lbnsam

Thanks for the response, that certainly seems better than what I was doing.

However, I need to compare the cn with approximately 200 group names. Would the best way be to check using a lookup table? If so, I'm not sure where to import it in the query.

Basically, it would need to replace the last line:

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
source="wineventlog:security"  EventCode=4625 AND dest_nt_domain="Domain_Name"
| stats count by user
| ldapsearch domain=Domain_Name search="(&(sAMAccountName=$user$)(|(cn="Domain Admins")(cn="Administrators")(cn="Print Operators"))) attrs="sAMAccountName, cn"
| table sAMAccountName, cn, count

I have never tried it, so I am not confident.
If it's not good, try to remove the quot;

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...