Splunk Search

Performing operations on a list of values with a single value

jaysonpryde
Path Finder

HI,

As mentioned in the subject, I want to perform operations on a list of values with a single value. To be clearer, here's my search:

index="my_index"
| stats limit=15 values(my_transaction) as transactions by group_name
| eventstats median(transactions) as median_transaction by group_name
| eval dv=(abs(transactions-median_transactions))

However, "dv" is empty. I am assuming this is because "transactions" is an array/ a list while "median_transaction" is a a single value, for each group. If my assumption is correct, what's the best way in performing the operation for each value in "transactions" with "median_transaction" for each group? 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval dv=mvmap(transactions,abs(transactions-median_transactions))

By the way, values() will give you an ordered list of unique values, whereas list() will keep duplicates which may or may not be a consideration for you.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval dv=mvmap(transactions,abs(transactions-median_transactions))

By the way, values() will give you an ordered list of unique values, whereas list() will keep duplicates which may or may not be a consideration for you.

jaysonpryde
Path Finder

Thank you very much @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi please try this:

index="my_index"
| eventstats median(transactions) as by group_name
| stats limit=15 values(my_transaction) as transactions values(median_transaction) AS median_transaction by group_name

One question: do you want the 15 first values ordered by group name or transactions?

with your search you have the 15 first values ordered by group name, if you want the 15 first values by transactions, you have to use head:

index="my_index"
| eventstats median(transactions) as by group_name
| stats values(my_transaction) as transactions values(median_transaction) AS median_transaction by group_name
| sort transactios
| head 15

Ciao.

Giuseppe

jaysonpryde
Path Finder

Thank you very much @gcusello 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @jaysonpryde,

you're always welcome!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...