Splunk Search

Passing values from subsearch to Parent Search

ashvinpandey
Contributor

I am stuck with a query where I am trying to pass the field value from sub search to parent search:

Query: 

index=f5 sourcetype="*f5*" earliest=-1d@d latest=d@d
[| inputlookup user where country="US" | fields UserName | rename user_name ]

Explanation: The field name which is going to match from the subsearch is the user_name, now in the parent search there are two fields for user that is user_name and Account_name and i need both of them in the end result (user_name contains internal users/ Account_name contains external users).
I tried using coalesce to merge both the fields in the parent search but eval pops an error.

Can anyone please help me in solving this problem ?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ashvinpandey 
i am not sure if i understand your problem correctly... but, still... i think this should be helpful to your problem...

index=f5 sourcetype="*f5*" earliest=-1d@d latest=d@d
[| inputlookup user where country="US" | fields UserName | rename UserName as user_name | return user_name ]

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve. What should the subsearch resolve to?

user_name="internal_user" AND Account_name="external-user"

Just do your subsearch to include those two fields. If it's the same value, just add

| eval Account_name=user_name

at the end of your subsearch.

If they are supposed to have different values, you have to look them up of course on their own. Can't tell you how though without knowing the lokup and its structure.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...