Splunk Search

Parse multiple URLs in a single event, keeping key/values separate

plambert
Engager

I have log entries that look effectively like this: (I have to break the URLs so I can even post this, how annoying...)

2013-09-01T00:00:00.000 url1=http_:_//_foo._com_/hedgehogs.html?primate=ring-tailed%20lemur&movie=princess%20bride url2=http_:_//_bar._com_/weasels.html?primate=gorilla&terrain=marshland another_field=something another_field=something

I need to extract the query parameters, but still know which URL they came from.

For example, given the above entry, it should show up for a search like:

search url1_primate="ring-tailed lemur"

But NOT show up for a search like:

search url1_primate="gorilla"

If I search on the value of url1 or url2, then I have to do something like:

search url1="primate=ring-tailed lemur"

But that matches anything with that string--I get false matches with my real data because I might have the equivalent of "least_loved_primate=ring-tailed lemur" that'd be a false positive.

So, in summary, I think what I need to do is:

1. Extract the url1 and url2 fields explicitly
  2. Extract the values of each url field into url1_* and url2_* fields with duplicate transforms
  3. Prefix extracted query parameter keys with url1_ or url2_

I can do the first thing, but the others are hard. Ideas?

Paul

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I realize that my suggestion won't make it easy to initiate searches (read: before the first |), but I would approach this by creating a macro. This macro would take two arguments: the field so search against, and the prefix for newly created fields. It would look like this in macros.conf:

[nested_regex_on_field(2)]
args = src_field, prefix
definition = rex field=$src_field$ "(?<$prefix$_uri_stem>regex_for_uri_stem)" | rex field=$src_field$ "(?<$prefix$_uri_params>regex_for_uri_params)"

The gist is that the ?<fieldname> matching group in the regex would use the prefix part of the macro call to name the field, and the input field would be the only one searched. It would be called something like this (note that the first pipe lives outside the macro...)

<your search terms> | `nested_regex_on_field(uri1, "uri1")`, and you'd end up with uri1_uri_stem and uri1_uri_params as fields after the rex calls.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...