Splunk Search

Organising user defined searches into subfolders

joejag

I would like to organise my saved searches into subfolders in the drop down on the search app.

I noticed that the "Errors" subfolder exists with "Errors in the last hour" etc. Is is possible to do this with user defined searches?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, it is possible. The default.xml navigation file there are 3 collections options out-of-the-box, error, admin and inputs. You can "classify" your own with the match attribute.
Check out.. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.4/Developer/Step6BuildNavigation

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Yes! You can control the menus in the default "nav" file for each app. For the search app, go to

Manager » User interface » Navigation menus

Choose the App context of search, and you should see a single Nav name listed, called "default."
You can edit default directly, but I recommend that you clone it to "default_save" first, just in case.
Then click on "default" to open the XML file.

The search navigation menu is actually pretty complex; look near the bottom, and you can see the xml that looks like

<collection label="Errors">
    <saved source="unclassified" match="error" />
</collection>

This is the XML that groups the saved searches about "errors" into a sub-menu. A collection is a menu or sub-menu in the nav. The "saved" element denotes a list of saved searches, and the match element specifies that the list consists of searches with the word "error" in their names. You can add any number of similar entries, categorizing the searches as you wish. (You can only have two levels of menu, though.)

For more information, see this page on navigation in the Splunk Developer manual.

joejag

Thanks for the additional answer!

0 Karma

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, it is possible. The default.xml navigation file there are 3 collections options out-of-the-box, error, admin and inputs. You can "classify" your own with the match attribute.
Check out.. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.4/Developer/Step6BuildNavigation

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...