Splunk Search

Order of search ops with eval vs fieldformat

bmgilmore
Path Finder

If I run a search such as the following:

sourcetype=access_combined action=purchase | stats sum(price) as Price by product_name, productId | eval revenue="$"+tostring(Price) | fields - Price

the revenue field calculates correctly. If I structure a bit differently:

sourcetype=access_combined action=purchase | stats sum(price) as Price by product_name, productId | fieldformat revenue="$"+tostring(Price) | fields - Price

revenue does not calculate correctly ($Null), it appears that downstream operations do not work with fieldformat?

Let me know, thanks!

Tags (4)
1 Solution

jonuwz
Influencer

When you eval, revenue actually gets set to $ + whatever the value of "Price" is, so its safe to remove "Price" from the list of fields.

When you fieldformat, revenue is displayed as $ + the field known as "Price"

You then remove Price, so Price is null (i.e. revenue can not reference Price any more)

You can do fieldformat Price="$".Price instead

View solution in original post

jonuwz
Influencer

When you eval, revenue actually gets set to $ + whatever the value of "Price" is, so its safe to remove "Price" from the list of fields.

When you fieldformat, revenue is displayed as $ + the field known as "Price"

You then remove Price, so Price is null (i.e. revenue can not reference Price any more)

You can do fieldformat Price="$".Price instead

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...