thierry_15
Loves-to-Learn

Hi and thanks a lot for your help !

My goal :

Finding processes that made suspicious DNS requests around user Logon

It seems that nested sub searches could make the job so here is my request :

event_simpleName=Process

[search event_simpleName=DNSrequest

[ search ComputerName IN ("Computer*") event_simpleName=UserLogon NOT UserName IN ("SYSTEM","*$","LOCAL SERVICE","DWM-*", "SERVICE LOCAL")
| dedup ComputerName, UserName
| rename _time AS earliest
| eval latest=earliest+120
| fields earliest, latest, ComputerName ]

| where match(DomainName,"(?i)(^.*\.(surf|cam|date|eu)$)")
| where NOT match(DomainName,".*(amaz)") | rename CProcessId as TProcessId | fields ComputerName, TProcessId ]

What I try to do / what I understand :

Subsearch_1 :
- try to find user logon and use dedup to reduce the number of events.
- using "fields", I pass to "Subsearch_2", three "parameters" : earliest, latest, ComputerName.  Field "ComputerName" exists in "DNSrequest" data.

Subsearch 2 :
- Using filters "earliest, latest, ComputerName", I search DNS requests made around the user logon time (Logon time + 2 mins)
- fields "ComputerName, ProcessId" are passed to "Main search". These two fields exist in "Process" data

Main search :
- try to find processes based on "ComputerName" and "TProcessId"
- Time range selected in UI is used by this search and Subsearch_1.
Subsearch_2 uses "earliest" and "latest".

The complete request does not return any result, but I have results if I decompose the request.
The issue concerns probably the data / parameters process by "Main search"...but I can't find out more.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...