Splunk Search

Nested JSON field

melvincorneliss

Hi I'm trying to do a count within my JSON logs. It's about the following data. I want to do a count for the extension_attribute with the name xxx-enrolled base on the value. How can I parse through this data? stats count is what I'm after.

{
"computer": {
"extension_attributes": [
{
"id": 1,
"name": "xxx-enrolled",
"type": "String",
"value": "3"
},
{
"id": 7,
"name": "xxx-filevault",
"value": "FileVault is On."
},
{
"id": 4,
"name": "xxx-initial-hostname",
"value": "xxxx-2i3l"
},
{
"id": 5,
"name": "Host name",
"value": "xxxx-2i3l"
},
{
"id": 2,
"name": "Last User",
"value": ""
},
]
}
}

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

What should the exact output be?

0 Karma

jason_prondak
Explorer

You can try using spath to parse it first. Then pull out the fields.

| makeresults

| eval raw="{ \"computer\": { \"extension_attributes\": [ { \"id\": 1, \"name\": \"xxx-enrolled\", \"type\": \"String\", \"value\": \"3\" }, { \"id\": 7, \"name\": \"xxx-filevault\", \"type\": \"String\", \"value\": \"FileVault is On.\" }, { \"id\": 4, \"name\": \"xxx-initial-hostname\", \"type\": \"String\", \"value\": \"xxxx-2i3l\" }, { \"id\": 5, \"name\": \"Host name\", \"type\": \"String\", \"value\": \"xxxx-2i3l\" }, { \"id\": 2, \"name\": \"Last User\", \"type\": \"String\", \"value\": \"\" }, { \"id\": 5, \"name\": \"xxx-enrolled\", \"type\": \"String\", \"value\": \"10\" }, ] } }"
| rename raw AS _raw
| spath

| rename computer.extension_attributes{}.name AS name
| stats count by name

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...