Splunk Search

Nessus in Splunk - pull scans from Windows Server

johnwsrns

I'm running Splunk on a Linux box. Nessus is running on another Linux box, but I'm using the Nessus web GUI from a Windows box to run scans. Scans are downloaded to that Windows box and saved as .csv files. Currently, I have to copy the files to the Splunk (indexer) box to get NessusInSplunk to see and index the data, using RegEx. I want to point the NessusInSplunk app to my Windows box so I don't have to copy the files to the Linux box. What entry should I make in the inputs.conf file, or how do I set the path through the Splunk GUI. When I try \servername\homes$\dir2\dir3\ I get error, "In Handler: 'monitor': Parameter name: Path must be absolute." I see a comment that splunk must have access to the network share. What user in that? Do I have to mount a network share on the Splunk (Linux) box? Or how must I share the directory on the Windows box?
A related question: How can I get server names in the Nessus scans to show up (not IP addresses in the NessusInSplunk app?

0 Karma

btran
Explorer

Hi John
did you ever get the Slunk add-on TA work on the windows box? I run into the same issue.

on the windows OS,
i have
1. universal forwarder
1. e:\nessus\incoming folder
2. e:\nessus\parsed folder

inputs.conf
[script://./bin/nessus2splunk.py -s e:\nessus\incoming -t c:\nessus\parsed]
disabled = false
interval = 120
index = nessus
source = nessus2splunk
sourcetype = nessus2splunk

I run a scan on nessus and drop scan result in e:\nessus\incoming folder
but it doesn't work.

0 Karma

jgedeon120
Contributor

John,

If you have a Splunk Universal forwarder installed on the Windows system you should be able to monitor the directory that you want to pull these CSV's from. Just ensure that you specify the sourcetype and index.

The host names versus the IP addresses are dependent on the settings in Nessus and not the app.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...