Splunk Search

Need a query to run until it gets results and stop once those results are found.

AlexBryant
Path Finder

I need to perform forensic analysis on compromised computers, but they are sometimes not online anymore by the time I've seen the AV alert and have Encase up and running. It would be extremely helpful if Splunk could search for that computer (ping, Windows Security events, whatever) email me when the appropriate traffic is observed, and then stop the search.

Detecting traffic from the computer and sending the email is no problem - it's how to get the search to stop once the target computer is online that has me stumped. Ideally, I would type something like 'sourcetype="IsOnline" hostname="HackedPC" notify="MyEmail@company.com"', and the search would run until I get the email, without my having to stop it manually.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

tpflicke
Path Finder

One approach would be to set the alert action for your search to a script.
The script can then send you an email and also interact with Splunk via the REST API.

http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAADQ5 provides an example for disabling a search via the API:

curl  -k -u admin:changeme  -d "disabled=1" -d 'search="fail+OR+error"' https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/admin/search/saved/searches/web_errors 

You also create, delete and otherwise manipulate saved searches without having to interact with the UI.
It's also possible just disable the alert action.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...