Splunk Search
Highlighted

Need Regex Help - Works Inline Search, Doesn't Work On Field Extractor.

Contributor

I have this simple data:
Wich will be cut by fixed positions.

201508150015002060HHTTP090E0000000085CHAN5050

I need to cut this into 8 new fields
1 field - length 8
2 field - length 6
3 field - length 2
4 field - length 3
5 field - length 3
6 field - length 1
7 field - length 10
8 field - lenght 12

I've been tryin' to use regex positional, it works inline, but not in field extractor, why?
This is my current regex:

rex field=_raw "(?P<FIELDNAME>\.{8}" | table _raw FIELDNAME

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Need Regex Help - Works Inline Search, Doesn't Work On Field Extractor.

Contributor

RegExr says:

So, it should work passing the amount of positions inside {size} as a substring for example but in a regex, right?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Remove the \ in front of your "." as that is telling the engine to specifically look for a dot character. You also don't have a closing paren though that might be a copy/paste issue. The following methodology should work (in theory)

... | rex "^(?<field1>.{8})(?<field2>.{6})"
Highlighted

Contributor

It worked for the first field, but when I go back to the field extractor, I get this message:

" The extraction failed. If you are extracting multiple fields, try removing one or more fields. Start with extractions that are embedded within longer text strings. "
0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Yeah look at jkat54's answer. I don't play with the GUI field extractor /shrug. If you don't have CLI access I'd bake that into a macro or something.

Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I like the idea of a macro to run the rex command that way you dont have to use the extraction if you dont want it. I doubt there are many performance concerns with this data though. So maybe full fledged props and transforms will be fine. I too avoid the field extractor. I also feel sorry for the developers of the tool.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Youll need props and transforms

props.com

[sourcetype]
report-a = reporta

transforms.conf

[reporta]
REGEX = (?<field1>.{8})(?<field2>.{6})(?<field3>.{2})(?<field4>.{3})(?<field5>.{3})(?<field6>.)(?<field7>.{10})(?<field8>.{12})

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Contributor

Thanks @jkat54 and @Runals!
We've just upgraded Splunk's version, so we're kinda new to this new field extractor.
Seems the older one was working faster and easier.
But I guess that'll do it!

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

cool thanks, i know it was a dance around the question. maybe if you use triple backslashes or triple dots etc in the field extractor it will work. You can only imagine the code behind a regex making website...

I'm reminded of a guy i know who writes code in ruby that writes powershell code that writes sql code. ugh.

Keeping it simple when possible in my shop...

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Haha lol
I don't wanna regret upgrading the version, also cuz my project app was being developed in 6.1 and the server uses 6.3. Now my props conf has [EXTRACT] tags and also [REPORT] tags, kinda confusing, hope I don't loose previous regex fields, not sure if this update came to help when it comes to field extractions...

0 Karma