Splunk Search

Need Help With Simple NOT Search

andrewkenth
Communicator

I can't beleive I'm coming to Answers to ask this as I've done it many times before but I must be missing something that I'm hoping you can help me find.

I have a list of events by user and date and I want to show any of those user/date combiation not in the list of user date combinations below:

List of Events with Users (and Date)

index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SQLAPP_Events OR sourcetype=SQLRPT_Events) "Login succeeded for user "  | bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, SqlServerLogon | rename SqlServerLogon as UserName

List of Allowed Users (and Date)

index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SqlServer_AppDB_Users OR sourcetype=SqlServer_RptDB_Users) | bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, UserName | table Date, UserName 

index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SQLAPP_Events OR sourcetype=SQLRPT_Events) "Login succeeded for user "  | bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, SqlServerLogon | rename SqlServerLogon as UserName
| search NOT [ search 
index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SqlServer_AppDB_Users OR sourcetype=SqlServer_RptDB_Users) | bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, UserName | table Date, UserName 
] 
| eval Date=strftime(Date,"%m/%d/%Y") | table Date, UserName, count | sort -Date

My raw data and props.conf look like this:

"TimeStamp","ServerName","HostName","DBName","UserName","LoginType","AssociatedRole"
"Dec 10 2013 12:36AM","426420-SQLCLUS1","426099-WELLDB1","ConfigLogging","dbo","WINDOWS_USER","db_owner"

NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
pulldown_type = 1
HEADER_MODE = firstline
FIELD_DELIMITER=,
FIELD_QUOTE="
TIME_FORMAT=%b %d %Y %H:%M%p
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS=TimeStamp
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

andrewkenth
Communicator

Something seemed to have been wrong with my search string as this works:

index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SQLAPP_Events OR sourcetype=SQLRPT_Events) "Login succeeded for user "
|  bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, SqlServerLogon | rename SqlServerLogon as UserName | table Date UserName count 
| search NOT [ search 
index=charlesriver sourcetype=SqlServer_AppDB_Users OR sourcetype=SqlServer_RptDB_Users | bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, UserName | table Date UserName | sort -Date
] | eval Date=strftime(Date,"%m/%d/%Y") | table Date, UserName, count | sort -Date

View solution in original post

0 Karma

andrewkenth
Communicator

Something seemed to have been wrong with my search string as this works:

index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SQLAPP_Events OR sourcetype=SQLRPT_Events) "Login succeeded for user "
|  bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, SqlServerLogon | rename SqlServerLogon as UserName | table Date UserName count 
| search NOT [ search 
index=charlesriver sourcetype=SqlServer_AppDB_Users OR sourcetype=SqlServer_RptDB_Users | bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by _time, UserName | table Date UserName | sort -Date
] | eval Date=strftime(Date,"%m/%d/%Y") | table Date, UserName, count | sort -Date
0 Karma

aelliott
Motivator

try including the trim search command in the usernames to see if there are spaces after them.

Eval UserName=trim(SqlServerLogon)

Eval UserName=trim(UserName)

0 Karma

andrewkenth
Communicator

Unexpected meaning I almost always have a match and this search shows that there are never matches. I can manually find the same Date/UserName combination value in each list.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

...and perhaps I should ask, 'unexpected how?'?

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

what if you use fields + Date, Username instead of table at the end of the subsearch

0 Karma

andrewkenth
Communicator

They do appear to be correct. Only when I combine them do I see unexpected results.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try following

| bucket span=1d _time | stats count first(_time) as Date by SqlServerLogon | rename SqlServerLogon as UserName
|search [index=charlesriver (sourcetype=SqlServer_AppDB_Users OR sourcetype=SqlServer_RptDB_Users) 
| bucket span=1d _time| stats first(_time) as Date by UserName]
| eval Date=strftime(Date,"%m/%d/%Y") | table Date, UserName, count | sort -Date
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

No, I have missed it. Please include NOT after "search" command in line 5 of search.

0 Karma

andrewkenth
Communicator

Am I missing something though? I want everything in the 1st list that is NOT in the 2nd list. Shouldn't I be using the NOT search?

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

What do the results look like when you run the searches separately. Ok?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...