Multivalue xml field extraction

jsanjeb
Explorer

Hi Splunkers,

Part of the incoming xml data looks like this,

<metaDataSet>
            <metaData key="DocName">mm1266505-20180330195251.txt</metaData>
            <metaData key="TARGET">Brazil BES</metaData>
            <metaData key="com.ibm.wmqfte.OriginatingUser">eimb@CORPWEB</metaData>
            <metaData key="com.ibm.wmqfte.OriginatingHost">B051S317.jci.com</metaData>
            <metaData key="com.ibm.wmqfte.TransferId">414d512050445053514d513031202020770fbe5aacf88f20</metaData>
            <metaData key="com.ibm.wmqfte.Priority">0</metaData>
        </metaDataSet>

I need extract the field key which is multi-valued. Current regex will extract only the first matching pattern. Please help with the regex.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey,

a proper regex would be \skey="([^"]+)".
Put it in your transforms, set MV_ADD = true, and you should be good.

However, this might be helpful, too: <metaData\s+key="([^"]+)">((?!<\/metaData>).+)<\/metaData>
You could then set FORMAT = $1::$2 so you get fields corresponding with the key names and their proper values.

You could also do both, like this:

props.conf
[your-sourcetype]

REPORT-metadata-fields = metadata-keys-mv-field, metadata-key-value-fields

transforms.conf

[metadata-keys-mv-field]
REGEX = <metaData\s+key="(?<metadata_keys>[^"]+)"
MV_ADD = true

[metadata-key-value-fields]
REGEX = <metaData\s+key="([^"]+)">((?!<\/metaData>).+)<\/metaData>
FORMAT = $1::$2
MV_ADD = true

Hope that helps - if it does I'd be happy if you would upvote/accept this answer, so others could profit from it. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey,

a proper regex would be \skey="([^"]+)".
Put it in your transforms, set MV_ADD = true, and you should be good.

However, this might be helpful, too: <metaData\s+key="([^"]+)">((?!<\/metaData>).+)<\/metaData>
You could then set FORMAT = $1::$2 so you get fields corresponding with the key names and their proper values.

You could also do both, like this:

props.conf
[your-sourcetype]

REPORT-metadata-fields = metadata-keys-mv-field, metadata-key-value-fields

transforms.conf

[metadata-keys-mv-field]
REGEX = <metaData\s+key="(?<metadata_keys>[^"]+)"
MV_ADD = true

[metadata-key-value-fields]
REGEX = <metaData\s+key="([^"]+)">((?!<\/metaData>).+)<\/metaData>
FORMAT = $1::$2
MV_ADD = true

Hope that helps - if it does I'd be happy if you would upvote/accept this answer, so others could profit from it. 🙂

0 Karma

jsanjeb
Explorer

Hi xpac, thanks for response. I am working on Splunk cloud. Will i be able to add these extraction through UI?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've no experience on Splunk Cloud, but on a on premise installation, you would have to do it via config files - no way to do this via the GUI. So unless Splunk Cloud doesn't offer something special for this case, I guess your way is through support then.

0 Karma

jsanjeb
Explorer

I tried in cloud, field extraction is working perfectly . Thanks !! but looks like the second transform which maps values is not working. When I search a metadata_key with its values in a query it is not giving me results.

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you add it via GUI? The FORMAT = $1::$2 is essential, else it will most likely not return anything.
I tried that regex here with your sample data, so at least the regex should be fine:
https://regex101.com/r/5JcfIv/1

0 Karma

jsanjeb
Explorer

Yes I have added it via GUI. I have added FORMAT = $1::$2 as well. Regex is perfectly fine.

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ah, didn't know it was possible, rarely use the GUI. I fear without actual access troubleshooting this is difficult - maybe you can find any errors in index=_internal?

0 Karma

jsanjeb
Explorer

Ok. Thanks !!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...