Splunk Search

Multivalue field which contains the string "data:" cause the UI to display all values as a single line

johnhuang
Motivator

Took some trial and error to figure out why some multivalue fields were being displayed as a single line.

If the string "data:" appears in any values in multivalue field, for examples using stats values(x) AS x, the multivalue field will display as a single line.

Are there any way to escape this behavior?

| makeresults | eval category="fruits" | eval name="apple,orange,strawberry,apricot,blueberry,mango" | eval name=SPLIT(name, ",")
| mvexpand name
| eval desc=name." is delicious!"
| eval desc_data="data: ".name."is delicious!"
| table category name desc desc_data
| stats values(name) AS name values(desc) AS desc values(desc_data) AS desc_data by category

johnhua_0-1636657019318.png

johnhua_0-1636657674103.png

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for testing and help identify that this issue does not affect v8.1.2. 

It appears to affect v8.2+

Labels (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk 8.0.1 standalone installation does not behave as you describe, it displays desc_data as MV on multiple lines, same as desc field.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I can confirm. Simple

| makeresults count=10
| streamstats count
| eval count="data: ".count
| stats values(count)

Produces results in a single line, separated by commas.

Splink 8.2.2.1

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is an incredible find!  I can confirm that, in a plain installation, multi-valued field with any value matching the regex "data\s*:" will be displayed in single line, as if there is a compulsory mvzip().  Before I post additional diagnosis, let me demonstrate an idiotic workaround: add the following to the end

| eval desc_data = mvjoin(desc_data, "
")

Note: the newline must be entered as literal (Ctrl + "Enter" in search window), not  as "\n", for example.  This should get the display as you intended, even though desc_data becomes single-valued after this.

data-spell.png

Now to diagnosis.  Like yourself, I made lots of tests.  Stripped to the bare bones, the "data: spell", or compulsory mvzip syndrome, can be demonstrated with the following:

| makeresults | eval category="fruits" | eval name="apple;orange;strawberry;apricot;my data : blueberry;mango" | eval name=SPLIT(name, ";")
| table category name

categoryname
fruitsapple,orange,strawberry,apricot,my data : blueberry,mango

Note:

1. Only one of the values contains the pattern "data\s*:".  The space character can be anything, even a newline.
  2. The spell-bound pattern can be prefixed by other patterns; in this demonstration, "my ".
  3. In the above example, field "category" is just an accessary and not a necessary part of the demonstration.

I cannot find anything explicit in etc/system/defaults that can explain this spell even though "data:" appears in several entries  in conf.conf.  I would consider this a bug as it can really catch many by surprise.

johnhuang
Motivator

Very creative of you Yuanliu.

I took your solution and split it back into a multivalue field which worked!

| eval desc_data=split(mvjoin(desc_data, ";"), ";")
| eval mv_count_desc_data=MVCOUNT(desc_data)

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| eval desc_data=split(mvjoin(desc_data, ";"), ";")
| eval mv_count_desc_data=MVCOUNT(desc_data)

Unfortunately, join then split doesn't help me with display.   Tested in 8.2.0 and 8.2.2.  Gives me the same display as if no change is made

join-split.png

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

You're right, my bad -- I inadvertently tested this on 8.1.x.

Some other interesting observations: 

You can insert newlines at the end of each values and the UI will respect it (Wrap Results needs to be turned on).

| rex field=desc_data mode=sed "s/$/\n/g"

johnhua_0-1637036147241.png

You can't, however, try to interact with the comma. It seems like the comma only exists in the UI. For example replacing comma with newline doesn't work.

| rex field=desc_data mode=sed "s/\,/\n/g"

Trying another character like "!" works:

| rex field=desc_data mode=sed "s/\!/\\0\n/g"

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have tried this on Splunk 7.3.9, 8.0.1 and two instances of 8.2.1 and it exhibits the behaviour on 8.2.1, but not on the other two versions.

In Splunk 8.2.1 even though it displays the data on a single line, the data is still MV, i.e. mvindex and mvfind functions still work as though it is an MV field, i.e. 

| eval c=mvcount(name)
| eval f=mvindex(name,2)
| eval i=mvfind(name, "my data : blueberry")

return 6, 'strawberry" and 4 respectively.

johnhuang
Motivator

bowesmana,

Great work there. I did not think this was a new bug. I just tested this on 8.1.2 confirm it was not affected.

This bug seem to have been introduced 8.2.1

0 Karma

bhargavi
Path Finder

Hi @johnhuang ,

I have just copied the same query given by you, but the results are multivalue only. Unsure why you got in a single row. Can you try again?

bhargavi_0-1636800785295.png

0 Karma

johnhuang
Motivator

Looks like a 8.2.x + bug.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...