Splunk Search

Multisearch query

DonBaldini
Path Finder

I am analysing Incident to Problem linkage by doing a search of the Incident table and then using a Join to the Problem to get supporting data for linked problems. Problem I have is with Join I am close to threshold for time periods for the search to fail

I have tried to use multisearch and OR search but I need to retain Incident results where there is no problem linked, hope this makes sense, code I have written...

| multisearch [search index=servicenow sourcetype="incident" ] [search index=servicenow sourcetype="problem" ]
| eval incident=if(sourcetype="incident",number,null), problem=if(sourcetype="incident",dv_problem_id,dv_number)
| stats latest(eval(if(sourcetype="incident",dv_opened_at,null()))) as inc_opened, latest(problem) as problem, latest(eval(if(sourcetype="problem",dv_state,null()))) as prb_state by incident

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @DonBaldini ,

I'd use OR to avoid subsearches.

Anyway, I suppose that the issue is related to the fact thta you're using the incident field that could be null.

Please chech the first eval to find a value for the incident field also for the sourcetype "problem".

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

DonBaldini
Path Finder

Yeah, the issue I have is that the problem ID is the only common field but by using problem ID I wouldn't return the unlinked Incident data

Thanks

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @DonBaldini,

the only way to correlate heterogeneous data sources is to find a common key and give these values to a common key to use in the stats command.

So you need to find this common key that has always a common value between the two data sources.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

DonBaldini
Path Finder

I'm thinking what I want to do is perhaps not possible, tried another variation on the code that doesnt pull in the problem values

(sourcetype="incident") OR (sourcetype="problem")
| eval incident=if(sourcetype="incident",number,null), problem=if(sourcetype="incident",dv_problem_id,null), prb_field=if(sourcetype="problem",dv_number,dv_problem_id)
| stats latest(eval(if(sourcetype="incident",dv_opened_at,null()))) as inc_opened, latest(problem) as problem, latest(eval(if(sourcetype="problem",dv_state,null()))) as prb_state by incident, prb_field
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...

Out of the Box to Up And Running - Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud ...

Tech Talk Streamlined Observability for Your Cloud Environment Register    Out of the Box to Up And Running ...