Splunk Search

Multiple field values combined into two different fields

jason_hotchkiss
Communicator

Hello Splunkers

I have the following field: Message

The Message fields have the following values:  1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15

I need to create two additional fields:  Success and Failure

Values for Success are: 2,4,6,10, & 12
Values for Failure are: 1,3,5,9,13

All unused values are ignored and not included in either the Success or Failure field.

I have tried the following:
| eval  status=if(in(Message,"2","4","6","10","12"),"Success","Failure")

This does two things:  The eval statement groups all the values in Success, correctly.  However, the eval statement groups all the values in Failure, incorrectly (by including all values other than 2,4,6,10, & 12).  Additionally, it groups these into a single field with two values, Success & Failure.  However, I would prefer to create two new fields with just the selected values for Success & Failure.

UPDATE - I think I figured this out:

eval success=case(Message="2","2",Message="4","4",Message="6","6",Message="10","10",Message="12","12")

eval failure=case(Message="1","1",Message="3","3",Message="5","5",Message="9","9",Message="13","13")

|stats values(success) values(failures) to validate.

Is there a better way to do it?  Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about

| eval success=if(in(Message,"2","4","6","10","12"),Message,null)
| eval failure=if(in(Message,"1","3","5","9","13"),Message,null)
| stats values(success) values(failure)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...