Splunk Search

Multiple Evals with multiple values that requires renaming

Corey_Heart
Engager

Hello,

I understand that you can have two evals in one line but i keep getting several errors when i try to combine two.

This eval is going into the calculated field to pull info from another field as well.

Attempted Eval:

lower(if(isnull(action),attempted_action,action)), case(action == "OVERWRITTEN", "modified", action == "OPENED", "read", action == "DOES_NOT_EXIST", "deleted", action == "SUPERSEDED", "acl_modified", action == "CREATED", "created")

What am I trying to achieve?

We want the action to display the attempted action field when the action field is blank. With the attempted action values, there are about 7 values that will appear in the action field. I would like them to be renamed to make the CIM data models in some way. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=20 
| eval attempt_action="attempt" 
| eval action=mvindex(split("OverWritten,Opened,Does_Not_Exist,Superseded,Created,",","),random()% 6) 
| eval action=if(action="",NULL,action) 
| fields - _time
| rename COMMENT as "this is sample, how about this eval logic?"
| eval result=case(isnull(action),attempt_action,upper(action) == "OVERWRITTEN", "modified", upper(action) == "OPENED", "read", upper(action) == "DOES_NOT_EXIST", "deleted", upper(action) == "SUPERSEDED", "acl_modified", upper(action) == "CREATED", "created")

lower() can't work. try upper()

0 Karma

Corey_Heart
Engager

Thanks for the quick response.

The values that come back from both action & attempted_action fields are: 

Open
Set_security
Rename
Delete
Opened
Superseded
Created
Does_not_exist
Exists
Overwitten

However some of these values may come back in all caps. I am using the lower() to make all values come back in all lowercase.  Would this still work with lower or upper must still be used? 

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=20 
| eval action=mvindex(split("OverWritten,Opened,Does_Not_Exist,Superseded,Created,",","),random()% 6) 
| eval attempt_action=mvindex(split("OverWritten,Opened,Does_Not_Exist,Superseded,Created",","),random()% 5) 
| eval action=if(action="",NULL,action) 
| fields - _time
| rename COMMENT as "this is sample, how about this eval logic?"
| eval action=upper(if(isnull(action),attempt_action,action))
| eval result=case(action="OVERWRITTEN", "modified",action="OPENED","read", action="DOES_NOT_EXIST", "deleted", action = "SUPERSEDED", "acl_modified", action = "CREATED", "created")

You used capitalized words(e.g. OVERWRITTEN), so I use upper()
lower()
lowercase letters. Which command you use is as you like. 

0 Karma

Corey_Heart
Engager

Thank you very much! this works

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Observability Cloud | Unified Identity - Now Available for Existing Splunk ...

Raise your hand if you’ve already forgotten your username or password when logging into an account. (We can’t ...

Index This | How many sides does a circle have?

February 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

Registration for Splunk University is Now Open!

Are you ready for an adventure in learning?   Brace yourselves because Splunk University is back, and it's ...