Splunk Search

Monitoring sources - better way?

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello there

I'm trying to prepare a dashboard that will query indexes for latest events during a given period (let's say - last 30 minutes) from a list of event sources and will warn users if the latest events are older than a given threshold (or maybe I'll apply some more sophisticated logic later; I don't know yet). I also want to know if there are no events whatsoeer

The problem is - I don't just want to query everything - I have a lookup  that defines my event sources to monitor. Depending on the type of the source I might distinguish the source by index/host pair, index/source pair; there may be some other method in the future but for now that's it.

So what is my problem now? 🙂

The problem is that I don't like my solution - it's kinda ugly.

I need to first do a subsearch with inputlookup to define a set of conditions for tstats, then I have to transform (and probably aggregate some results since - for example - for file-based sources I can have multiple results if I do a tstats over index/source/host trio) and after that I have to do a inputlookup again to create a zero-valued fallback to aggregate with tstats result.

So effectively I have something with general structure of:

| tstats [ | inputlookup
   | eval/whatever/prepare conditions]
| stats/transform/whatever
| append
   [ | inputlookup
     | eval/whatever/prepare ]
| stats sum and tidy the results
| check_for_zeros, check threshold and so on...

That's the general idea.

It should work but I don't really like the fact that I need to use subsearched inputlookup twice and results of those subsearches will be - I suppose - highly similar to each other.

Any idea if it can be performed in a more "tidy" way?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your below use-case requires subsearch of inputlookup as Splunk will not know about what host/source you're expecting data from if the data is not there.

I also want to know if there are no events whatsoeer

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, I know 🙂

That's what the second inputlookup is for - to generate zero-valued "results" to sum with tstats. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about this. But thanks for the heads up.

I suppose I can't remove any of the subsearches because I can't "reuse" part of the results of earlier subsearch so I need to re-run the inputlookup.

Good thing is that the inputlookup subsearches should be very quick compared to the main search so I wouldn't be wasting good searches for long. (This is an environment which has many scheduled searches and even though I have a reasonably powerful searchhead cluster I'm quite conscious about the search number limits).

0 Karma

nmohammed
Contributor

you could probably do the lookups at the end of the tstats search & all transforms

| tstats ...
| search [| inputlookup field1 lookup1.csv | ... ] | search [| inputlookup lookup2.csv | ... ]

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'd still need two subsearches. And I would need to do tstats across all my indexes/sources/host. So that's not really an improvement 😉

But thanks for the idea.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...