Splunk Search

Lookup with wildcard in data, not in lookup table?

etoombs
Path Finder

Hi. I know a lookup file can contain wildcards and use them with the WILDCARD(<field>) setting, but is it possible to do the opposite, where the wildcard is in the dataset, rather then the lookup?

For more detail:

I have a lookup file that contains names and some location information, formatted like this:

lastname, firstname, m [us-us]  

I have some source data that contains names, without the middle initial or the location data. I can manipulate it to get it into lastname, firstname format. 

Is it possible to do wildcard matching to a lookup when the wildcard is in the data set, as opposed to the lookup file?  So, if my data has a field called name as Doe, John* and the lookup file has fullname: Doe, John M [us-us], it would be a match?

| lookup myfile fullname as name 

I appreciate any help. I tried looking around for this, but only found references to the wildcard in the lookup, not in the dataset.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...