CarmineCalo
Path Finder

Splunkers!

I'm facing the following use case.

I've a search that return fields like:
- date (month/year)
- AppID
- Availability Cluster

In a lookup table, I've the connection b/w date (month/Year) and Availability Clusters, like

Date Cluster 1 Cluster 2 Cluster 3
2016-01 100 200 300
2016-02 110 210 310
2016-03 120 220 320

Availability Clusters in the search and in the lookup have the same domain.

Now, i need the lookup in the table the value matching both date and Availability Cluster fields related to the events (so the column to be lookup is variable, depending on "Availability Cluster" field content).
How can i do?

Currently the lookup looks something like, don't know how to complete the statement

lookup lookupfile.csv Date as Date OUTPUTNEW ???

Ideas/ suggestions are really appreciated,
Tks!

Carmine

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you control the format/generation of the lookup table? If yes, I would suggest to make the lookup table more linear with just 3 columns, like this

Date,Cluster,Value
2016-01,Cluster 1,100
2016-01,Cluster 2,200
2016-01,Cluster 3,300

You'd also need to ensure that timestamp format in Date column matches your data exactly.
That way it'll be easy to lookup your data (...| lookup lookupfile.csv Date as Date Cluster as "Availability Cluster" OUTPUT Value).

If you can't try this workaround (less efficient)

your current search giving fields date, AppID, "Availability Cluster"...
| join type=left Date "Availability Cluster" [| inputlookup lookupfile.csv| untable Date Cluster Value | rename Cluster as "Availability Cluster"]

CarmineCalo
Path Finder

Clever Idea.

May i code a lookup with 2 parameters as input?
I imagine something like:

| lookup lookupfile.csv Date as Date,  Cluster as Cluster OUTPUTNEW <<FIELD>>as <<FIELD>>

Correct?

Tks!
Carmine

0 Karma

Super Champion

yes, so you can write as
your current search giving fields date, AppID, "Availability Cluster"...| lookup lookupfile.csv Date as Date, Cluster as "Availability Cluster" OUTPUTNEW Value

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...