Splunk Search

Lookup search query field comparison and output

pm2012
Explorer

Hi Team,

I would like to achieve something similar to below

1- I have a csv lookup table name - customer-devices.csv having below two columns 

hostnameDeviceType
hostname1Cisco
hostname2Cisco
hostname3Cisco

2- I am searching events having above hostname field for past 24 hr. My requirement it should print all hostnames in the output result which are there in the lookup and if those hostname are also in the search mark them Active if those are not there in search mark them Not Active.

Like it print all three hostname which is there in lookup having status Active and Non Active basis on its availablility in the search log

hostnameDeviceTypeStatus
hostname1CiscoActive
hostname2CiscoActive
hostname3CiscoNot Active
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @pm2012 ,

I suppose that you have the hostname field also in the main search, if not, you have to renabme that field.

So if you want only the logs from hostnames that are in the lookup, you could try somethng like this:

<your_search> [ | inputlookup customer_devices.csv | fields hostname ]
| eval hostname=lower(hostname)
| stats count BY hostname
| append [ | inputlookup customer_devices.csv | eval hostname=lower(hostname), count=0 | fields hostname DeviceType count ]
| stats sum(count) AS total values(DeviceType) AS DeviceType BY hostname
| eval Status=if(total=0, "Non Active", "Active)

If instead you want to check also new hostnames that aren't in the lookup, you could try:

<your_search>
| append [ | inputlookup customer_devices.csv | eval hostname=lower(hostname), count=0 | fields hostname DeviceType count ]
| eval Status=case(NOT DeviceType=*, "New hostname", total=0, "Non Active", total>0, "Active)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @pm2012 ,

I suppose that you have the hostname field also in the main search, if not, you have to renabme that field.

So if you want only the logs from hostnames that are in the lookup, you could try somethng like this:

<your_search> [ | inputlookup customer_devices.csv | fields hostname ]
| eval Status=if(total=0, "Non Active", "Active)

If instead you want to check also new hostnames that aren't in the lookup, you could try:

<your_search>
| eval Status=case(NOT DeviceType=*, "New hostname", total=0, "Non Active", total>0, "Active)

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...