Splunk Search

Lookup file age

axinjakson
Explorer

Any way to show the age of a lookup file? My users will need to upload new files from time to time and I want them to have a gauge on how old the existing files are.

REST may come further down the line for automation, for now manual upload is our only option.

On the OS side easy enough, in the GUI I cant find a thing.

ziegfried
Influencer

You could also add a scripted input that periodically checks the age of the lookup files and index the results with Splunk. It should be fairly easy to create a search that produces gauges for the ages of the files. Here's an example scripted input (in python):

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys,os,datetime,time

FILES_TO_CHECK = [("search","lookup1.csv"),("mcafee_epo","av_threat_types.csv")]

for app,filename in FILES_TO_CHECK:
    p = os.path.join(os.environ['SPLUNK_HOME'],'etc','apps', app, 'lookups',filename)
    if os.path.exists(p):
        age = time.time() - os.stat(p).st_mtime
        print "%s Lookup file=%s in app=%s age=%d seconds" % (datetime.datetime.now(),filename,app,int(age))
    else:
        print >>sys.stderr,"Lookup file %s not found (%s)" % (filename, p)

and another example that simply fetch the age for all lookup files:

#!/usr/bin/python
import sys,os,datetime,time
apps = os.path.join(os.environ['SPLUNK_HOME'],'etc','apps')
for sub in os.listdir(apps):
    lookupsDir = os.path.join(apps,sub,"lookups")
    if os.path.exists(lookupsDir):
        for f in os.listdir(lookupsDir):
            if f.endswith(".csv"):
                p = os.path.join(lookupsDir, f)
                age = time.time() - os.stat(p).st_mtime
                print "%s Lookup file=%s in app=%s has not been modified in age=%d seconds" % (datetime.datetime.now(),f,sub,int(age))

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not directly no - however, you might be able to do a custom search command that basically checks the operating system. I'm just not sure how it would work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...