Splunk Search

Lookup - Filter a search with lookup content

NunnuN
Engager

Greetings.

I am quite new to Splunk and read a lot of sources.

However, I have a hard time to find my answer about the join and eval functions.

I have a first search on an index. I want to filter this search with values of one field in a csv I import as lookup.

Example:

index="data" sourcetype="entities" | table EMAIL EXTERNAL_EMAIL CATEGORY

And I have the inputlookup

inputlookup 20230904_NeverLoggedIn.csv

How do I compare the field EXTERNAL_EMAIL from the index to the E_MAIL field in the csv file as a filter?

Many thanks for the help.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @NunnuN,

let me understand: do you want to take only the E_MAILs in the index that match with the lookup or what else?

if you want the matching E-MAILs, you have to use a subsearch like the following:

index="data" sourcetype="entities" [ | inputlookup 20230904_NeverLoggedIn.csv | rename E_MAIL  AS EXTERNAL_EMAIL | fields EXTERNAL_EMAIL ]
| table EXTERNAL_EMAIL CATEGORY

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @gcusello points out you can do this with a subsearch/inputlookup to the outer search or you can do it with a lookup + where clause - try both and use the one that gives you the best performance

index="data" sourcetype="entities" 
``` This will lookup the EXTERNAL_EMAIL field in the data against the E_MAIL
    field in the CSV ```
| lookup 20230904_NeverLoggedIn.csv E_MAIL as EXTERNAL_EMAIL OUTPUT E_MAIL as Found
``` If the EXTERNAL_EMAIL is Found in this case, it will give you the result
    Changed to isnull(Found) to find users that do NOT exist in the CSV ```
| where isnotnull(Found)
| table EMAIL EXTERNAL_EMAIL CATEGORY
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @NunnuN,

let me understand: do you want to take only the E_MAILs in the index that match with the lookup or what else?

if you want the matching E-MAILs, you have to use a subsearch like the following:

index="data" sourcetype="entities" [ | inputlookup 20230904_NeverLoggedIn.csv | rename E_MAIL  AS EXTERNAL_EMAIL | fields EXTERNAL_EMAIL ]
| table EXTERNAL_EMAIL CATEGORY

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...