Splunk Search

Looking at AFP logs

staze
Path Finder

So, question relating to pulling useful data out of AFP (Apple File Protocol) logs on the server.

A line in the log looks like:

IP 123.456.789.101 - - [12/Jan/2011:09:23:06 -0800] "Login user" 0 0 0

So basically, it would be cool to be able to say "this is how many unique users logged in today.

Is this easily doable?

Probably a noobish question, but...

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

You should setup a sourcetype if you don't have one already. This is where you will setup some field extractions to extract the values you are looking for; once you have that done, getting the specific search your are looking for is pretty easy once you get familiar with the tool.

Let's say your log file is located in /var/log/afl.log and you want your sourcetype to be called afl.

Setup the following entries in props.conf:

[source::.../afl.log]
sourcetype = afl

[afl] 
TIME_PREFIX = \[
TIME_FORMAT = %d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S %z
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 128
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False
EXTRACT-fields = ^(?<clientip>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+) \S+ \S+ \[[^\]]+\] "(?<user>[^"]+)" ...

Once that's setup, you can restart splunkd and setup splunk to index your afl log file. Once you have events in splunk, you should be able to see them with a search like so:

sourcetype=afl

Assuming that's working, you can move on to getting the report you're looking for like so:

sourcetype=afl | top user

Lowell
Super Champion

BTW, I haven't actually tested the regex shown above, and the "..." is because I have no clue what those last fields are for (and it's also a valid regex expression. 😉 Yeah, I'm a geek.) If you post a few example events and indicate what the fields are for, I or someone else can help you out with the regex. You can use the IFX (interactive field extractor) for this too, but IMHO, for strictly formated events like this you're better off writing a single all-in-one regex than creating many single-field regexes as would happen with IFX.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Yes, only new events would be assigned to this sourcetype. However, you can always use the same name, I chose "afl" as an example.) If you do use the same sourcetype that splunk used automatically, then the field extractions will work for old and new events (because EXTRACT- is a search-time setting. Whereas TIME_* and SHOULD_LINEMERGE are index-time settings. (If you're new to splunk, it will payoff long-term to become familiar with the difference between search-time and index-time settings; I remember being confused at first; fortunately the docs are more clear on this point now.)

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

So, assuming I already have a bunch of data in splunk from this log, adding a sourcetype would only apply to new data, or old data as well?

Would what you put above work for what I posted? I'm not expert on regex, but it looks like it's formatted basically correctly. The Timestamp looks right.

So if the log is called "AppleFileServer.log" would that mean the [source::.../AppleFileServer.log] would look like that?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...