Splunk Search

List field values as input without rendering the events

Starlette
Contributor

Is there a smart way to list field values as input without rendering the events?
Example :

I want to list the hosts for a sourcetype=named
so instead of doing a

sourcetype=named | fields host ( and have to use a earliest time)
cause this takes time to render the pulldown module....maybee |metadata ?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure I fully understand your question but perhaps this can give you what you need:

sourcetype=named | stats count by host

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

View solution in original post

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yep, if you have that many events per minute and you want to know sourcetypes by hosts over a long period summary indexing is probably your best bet. I found this answer that sheds some more light on the same topic: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/10005/how-to-get-host-sourcetype-and-source-from-a-single-meta...

Hope this helps.

Starlette
Contributor

Well this IS rendering events,,,,fyi if you have 300.000 events per minute then this is slow for shooting it in the pulldown module...
I am testing now with | metadata type=hosts and subsearch for the sourcetype...( and index)
But no luck,,,i think i have to schedule it with summary indexing,,,

0 Karma

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure I fully understand your question but perhaps this can give you what you need:

sourcetype=named | stats count by host

Hope this helps.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...