Splunk Search

Limiting Software Enumeration

mccobalt96

I would like to modify an existing dashboard to limit the Linux package that is being reported.  Specifically, I want to see any packages that start with kernel.  The plugin that is in use is Software Enumeration (SSH).  The existing query returns too many records and is truncated.  If I could limit it to see kernel packages only I think it would allow the query to complete.  Does anybody have any suggestions how to pass this kernel*?  

Labels (3)
0 Karma

mccobalt96

I believe I figured it out:

index=server_logs sourcetype="tenable:sc:vuln" pluginName="Software Enumeration (SSH)" dnsName = "$server$"
| rex field=pluginText "Linux system\s\:\s+(?<RPM>[^<]+)"
| rex field=RPM mode=sed "s/\s+/;/g"
| makemv RPM delim=";"
| mvexpand RPM | search RPM="kernel*"
| table dnsName RPM
| dedup dnsName RPM

Unfortunately it includes any kernel-* items not just what I am looking for (i.e. kernel-3.10.*).  If I could limit it to kernel-3* and kernel-2* I think it would get what I need... Any way to do that?  Thanks!

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Nice to hear that you figure it out. Probably this helps you to solve the rest?
https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-can-I-use-regex-with-wildcard-patterns-in-a-search...
Another option is | where match or like
r. Ismo
0 Karma

mccobalt96

I'm hoping this is what you are looking for:  (I'm a newbie).

index=server_logs sourcetype="tenable:sc:vuln" pluginName="Software Enumeration (SSH)" dnsName = "$server$"
| rex field=pluginText "Linux system\s\:\s+(?<RPM>[^<]+)"
| rex field=RPM mode=sed "s/\s+/;/g"
| makemv RPM delim=";"
| mvexpand RPM
| table dnsName RPM
| dedup dnsName RPM

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you post your query / dashboard code, so community could help you?
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Platform | Upgrading your Splunk Deployment to Python 3.9

Splunk initially announced the removal of Python 2 during the release of Splunk Enterprise 8.0.0, aiming to ...

From Product Design to User Insights: Boosting App Developer Identity on Splunkbase

co-authored by Yiyun Zhu & Dan Hosaka Engaging with the Community at .conf24 At .conf24, we revitalized the ...

Detect and Resolve Issues in a Kubernetes Environment

We’ve gone through common problems one can encounter in a Kubernetes environment, their impacts, and the ...