Splunk Search

Large scale join between two sourcetypes

NDolan
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a problem for the last few weeks and haven't had huge amounts of success and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

I have two data sources. In datasource A I have multiple records per host/asset - hundreds to thousands. In datasource B I have one record per host/asset.

I need to take a field from the record in datasource B (tags in this case) and append it to every record in datasource A based on a unique key (asset_uuid in this scenario). With the goal being to do various calculations, searches and aggregations on the hundreds/thousands of events based on the tag field values.

I was first looking at transaction, but that was merging all ~500 records for each asset in datasource A which is not what I need. I then started looking at a join command which I had mostly working I think but from what I can tell the subsearch on the join has a limit where it will only affect 500000 events as far as my research tells me. In other talks I have heard some people mention appendcols which, if I am reading the documentation for it correctly, won't do this either as it is more of a 1-to-1 than a 1-to-many.

My next route is to see if stats or maybe a calculated field might be able to do this? I was hoping that those more experienced might be able point me where to start looking to get this to work while I am researching this. It seems like something that should be super easy but I, and those I have spoken to, haven't found a path yet.

Thanks everyone for any advice you may have to give.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @NDolan,

I usually try to use stats (when possible) because it's the fastest solution and hasn't the problem of 50,000 results in subsearch, so I'd try something like this:

(<search_datasource_A>) OR (<search_datasource_B>) 
| stats values(fieldA_1) AS fieldA_1 values(fieldA_2) AS fieldA_2 values(fieldA_N) AS fieldA_N values(tags) AS tags BY asset_uuid 

instead values you can use other options:

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

NDolan
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hello Giuseppe,

Thanks for the response, I'll be trying this shortly now that I am not being pulled in the opposite direction with other surprise work.

To be sure I am reading this correctly where you have:

values(fieldA_N) AS fieldA_N

I have to have this code for every field that I will be wanting to run further queries on after we have everything merged properly?

Thanks,
Nathan

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
search A
| append [search B]
| eventstats values(tags) as tags by asset_uuid
| where (event from search A)
0 Karma

NDolan
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Thank you, I will be trying this shortly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...