Splunk Search

Keeping field of subsearch

javo
Explorer

How can I keep fields of a subsearch so I can add them to a table with the end result? I tried with no success

... [ ... | fields + foo, bar] | table fieldX, fieldY, foo, bar

The problem is that the subsearch runs on one log file, and the main search runs on a different log with other fields. Field foo is in both logs but field bar is not. So when I call foo it is shown from main log but I can't find the way to keep field bar from the subsearch log.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In general adding fields from a second source based on a shared field is a join: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/SearchReference/Join

javo
Explorer

sourcetype=asdf content=oops [search sourcetype=fdsa fish=-88 | fields location] | table location, content, problem, paper

being problem and paper the two fields in subsearch log I want to show in the table.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's a generic example of a join:

| gentimes start=-1 increment=5m | eval foo = starttime % 10800 | fields + starttime foo | join type=left [gentimes start=-1 increment=1h | eval foo = starttime % 10800 | eval bar = 42 | fields + foo bar]

Ayn
Legend

You haven't provided us with a full search so it's hard to give you more advice on how you could rewrite your query.

0 Karma

javo
Explorer

I'm not sure if this is what I need. Any example please?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...