Splunk Search

Join, appendcols how to collect data from several events and combine them into one row?

HaPPo

Hi.

I am building up a table with a row for each key. Each row is build up by selecting field values from different events with the same key. What is the best practice of setting this multi-search row?

Each event is an update that only fills the fields used in that event. Therefore we get following rows:

Key Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field5
A valueF1_a valueF2_e NULL NULL valueF5_e
A valueF1_b valueF2_d valueF3_c valueF4_c valueF5_d
A valueF1_a valueF2_c valueF3_c valueF4_b valueF5_c
A valueF1_a valueF2_b valueF3_a valueF4_b valueF5_b
A NULL valueF2_a NULL valueF4_a valueF5_a

There are several keys(A,B,C,D,...) in the index and I would need to show one row for each key by the same "rule" set by selecting values based on a. values from other fields or b. first/last updated value by time. Result would look like this:

Key Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field5
A valueF1_b valueF2_b valueF3_a valueF4_c valueF5_e

Field1: value when valueF5=valueF5_d
Field2: value from the first event notNULL
Field3: value from the first event not NULL
Field4: value from the last event not NULL
Field4: value from the last event not NULL

I have tried to set it up with "join" but not been successfull so far.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Give this a try

your base search | eval Field1=if(Field5="valueF5_d",Field1,null() 
| stats values(Field1) as FIeld1 earliest(Field2) as Field2 earliest(Field3) as Field3 latest(Field4) as Field4 latest(Field5) as Field5 by KEY
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...