Splunk Search

It is possible to use a variable under mstats search?

soulmaker
Explorer

Hi there, 

I am trying to make a statistic graph in my dashboard using the search below.  

| mstats rate(vault.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns.value) as gc_pause WHERE `vault_telemetry` AND cluster=* AND (host=*) BY host span=5m
| timechart max(gc_pause) AS iowait bins=1000 BY host
| eval warning=3.3e7, critical=8.3e7

**Note that the search below comes from the pre-defined dashboard template but it is not working as is in my environment. 

In my Splunk, when I do a mpreview of my index `vault_telemetry` I am getting a result like the below:

metric_name:vault.hostname1.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns
metric_name:vault.hostname2.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns
metric_name:vault.hostname3.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns
metric_name:vault.hostname3.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns
metric_name:vault.hostname4.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns

If I modify the pre-defined search from the template using the below I can get the result however, I can only do it on one hostname. 

| mstats rate(vault.hostname1.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns) as gc_pause WHERE `vault_telemetry` span=5m
| timechart max(gc_pause) AS iowait bins=1000

I would like to have all the hostname shows on my single panel. Can someone please able to assist and help me with the correct search index I need to use?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I understood correctly, just use wildcards

| mstats rate(vault.hostname*.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns) as gc_pause_* WHERE `vault_telemetry` span=5m
| timechart max(gc_pause_*) AS iowait_* bins=1000

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I understood correctly, just use wildcards

| mstats rate(vault.hostname*.runtime.total_gc_pause_ns) as gc_pause_* WHERE `vault_telemetry` span=5m
| timechart max(gc_pause_*) AS iowait_* bins=1000

soulmaker
Explorer

Your a real legend @bowesmana . I didn't realize that you can put wildcards in the middle. Thank you so much for your help. I am new to Splunk so your help is really helpful. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...