Splunk Search

Issues with Case statement

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

I have reviewed a number of already answered questions related to case statements but none that seem to address the issue I am having. I am trying to create a table to show AWS CloudTrail events associated with creating, deleting, modifying IAM groups in AWS.

I have no problem with basic details but I am attempting to use a case statement so I can display additional detail for events associated with attaching or detaching a policy to a group, namely the policy that is being attached or detached.

Here is my search string, and the results:

sourcetype="aws:cloudtrail" eventName= *Group* 
| eval Detail=case(eventName == DetachGroupPolicy, requestParameters.policyArn, eventName == AttachGroupPolicy, requestParameters.policyArn, 1=1, "N/A" ) 
| rename requestParameters.groupName as Group, userIdentity.userName as "Performed by" 
| table _time, eventName, Group, Detail, requestParameters.policyArn

RESULTS:
| _time | eventName | Group | Detail | requestParameters.policyArn |
|--------------------------------------------|-----------------------------|------------------|----------|-----------------------------------------------------------|
| 2017-11-14T13:01:30.000-0700 | DeleteGroup | TestGroup | N/A | |
| 2017-11-14T13:01:30.000-0700 | DetachGroupPolicy | TestGroup | N/A | arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/ReadOnlyAccess |
| 2017-11-14T13:01:19.000-0700 | UpdateGroup | tst_grp | N/A | |
| 2017-11-14T13:00:40.000-0700 | AttachGroupPolicy | tst_grp | N/A | arn:aws:iam::aws:policy/ReadOnlyAccess |
| 2017-11-14T13:00:40.000-0700 | CreateGroup | tst_grp | N/A | |

It seems that none of my case comparisons are evaluating to true. I've included the policyArn field to ensure it is actually populated and there are no typos.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Can you please try this?

| rename requestParameters.policyArn As requestParameters_policyArn,requestParameters.groupName as Group, userIdentity.userName as "Performed by"
| eval Detail=case(eventName=="DetachGroupPolicy" OR eventNam =="AttachGroupPolicy" ,requestParameters_policyArn, 1=1, "N/A" )
| table _time, eventName, Group, Detail, requestParameters_policyArn

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

Can you please try this?

| rename requestParameters.policyArn As requestParameters_policyArn,requestParameters.groupName as Group, userIdentity.userName as "Performed by"
| eval Detail=case(eventName=="DetachGroupPolicy" OR eventNam =="AttachGroupPolicy" ,requestParameters_policyArn, 1=1, "N/A" )
| table _time, eventName, Group, Detail, requestParameters_policyArn

Thanks

0 Karma

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

Renaming requestParameters.policyArn worked. Thank you.

Please post this as an answer so I can mark it as the accepted answer.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@tgrogan_stack, please accept @kamlesh_vaghela's answer to mark this question as answered.

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Try this!

| eval Detail=case(eventName == "DetachGroupPolicy", requestParameters.policyArn, eventName == "AttachGroupPolicy", requestParameters.policyArn, 1=1, "N/A" )

0 Karma

tgrogan_stack
Explorer

This did address the issue of the comparison, but renaming the requestParameters.policyArn field, as suggested by kamlish provided the results I was seeking.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...