Splunk Search

Is there a way to surface when auto-finalize has halted a panel's query in a dashboard?

lmonahan
Path Finder

I have a dashboard and some queries in the panels are taking longer than the allowed 60 seconds to complete.  They are using stats count but there are a lot of instances of events to count so it takes some time.

I'm looking at making the queries rely on summary indexes instead in order to speed them up. But in the meantime users of the dashboard passively get inconsistent results because they aren't aware the query exited before finishing. That is, data is rendered but its not clear to the user that its incomplete data.

Is there a way in a dashboard to signal to the user that a panel reached the auto-finalize limit? 

Right now I can click the "information"  icon ("i") and see this error:

"The search auto-finalized after it reached its time limit: 60 seconds."

But I'd like to detect and surface it, if its possible.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use the done handler of the search to set a token which the panel depends on so it only shows when the search is complete. You could have another panel which rejects the same token as an html panel which displays message to say that the results are being processed or something like that.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use the done handler of the search to set a token which the panel depends on so it only shows when the search is complete. You could have another panel which rejects the same token as an html panel which displays message to say that the results are being processed or something like that.

lmonahan
Path Finder

How interesting!  I will try it!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...