Splunk Search
Highlighted

Is there a way I can see what data is being indexed on a specific port?

Path Finder

Hello,

In the last year, I became the manager of a Splunk system with 0 documentation. All logs were being thrown into index=main, and the only information I can find is in inputs.conf, which is not very helpful:

[splunktcp://50200]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://50201]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://50202]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://42500]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://55555]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://50203]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://51225]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://51125]
connection_host = ip

[splunktcp://514]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://40100]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://50000]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://40300]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://41000]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://42000]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

[splunktcp://50100]
connection_host = ip
disabled = 0

I would like to find what data is coming in on these ports, set them all up to come in on 9997, and send them to their own index, so that I can allow the managers of that data to securely access that data, without being able to access logs that are not theirs (via a local role that only allows one or two indexes). Is there any way I can see what data is coming in on what port, or will I have to manually go through and set each port to it's own index or sourcetype to find out?

Thanks.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Is there a way I can see what data is being indexed on a specific port?

Motivator

Hello,

Use this search to list all the hosts connected and sending data to your splunk instance

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=tcpin_connections 
 | eval sourceHost=if(isnull(hostname), sourceHost,hostname) 
 | rename connectionType as connectType
 | eval connectType=case(fwdType=="uf","univ fwder", fwdType=="lwf", "lightwt fwder",fwdType=="full", "heavy fwder", connectType=="cooked" or connectType=="cookedSSL","Splunk fwder", connectType=="raw" or connectType=="rawSSL","legacy fwder")
 | eval version=if(isnull(version),"pre 4.2",version)
 | rename version as Ver 
 | fields connectType sourceIp sourceHost destPort kb tcp_eps tcp_Kprocessed tcp_KBps splunk_server Ver
 | eval Indexer= splunk_server
 | eval Hour=relative_time(_time,"@h")
 | stats avg(tcp_KBps) sum(tcp_eps) sum(tcp_Kprocessed) sum(kb) by Hour connectType sourceIp sourceHost destPort Indexer Ver
 | fieldformat Hour=strftime(Hour,"%x %H")

You can then expand this search by using sourceHost,IP and get actual "log sources"

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Raghav

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Path Finder

Thanks! This worked perfectly!

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

These seems to be TCP data inputs and since there are no values explicitly defined for index/sourcetype, they are going to default places. Not sure if you can migrate all to use same port (9997), but you can keep the same port configuration, assign index/sourcetype explicitly in the inputs.conf. See this for more info on TCP data inputs

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/Data/Monitornetworkports#Configure_a_TCP_input

0 Karma