Splunk Search

Is there SPL's worst practice?

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I've seen a lot of join, transaction and append SPLs.
Using timechart to show percentage of each time, it's hard. but everybody wants to do it.

I think you didn't have to use that SPL.

There is a best practice, but I don't know worst practice

Is there SPL's worst practice? or Can you tell me what's wrong with this way of using it?

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @to4kawa,
i didn't find a worst practice guide and I'm agree that it could be useful, especially for the new entries: e.g. all the people that worked with SQL and approach Splunk, start using join command in searches!
Anyway a worst practices is surely the opposite of a best practice, and I didn't find a structured guide neither to this, only some hints in a course that I followed at the beginning.
And in addition, i don't think that someone in Splunk can say that there's a worst practice: it isn't a good marketing approach!

In my experience, I try to avoid some features for performace reasons or symply to have a more readable code, these are the main worst practices I avoid:

• I try to avoid transaction and join commands every time I can and this is the main worst prectice!
  • I usually use append (with attention to the number of subsearch results) without problems.
  • I don't like automatic lookups so as not to lose the thread of logic of a search.
  • I don't like to use DB-Connect (I use it only if I'm forced!) for security reasons and I prefer to use an export of data on a file.

Then there's something else, but less important:

• i don't like to use Field Extractor, I prefer to create fields using regexes.
  • i don't like to have different different eval for each field transformation, I prefer to have one eval.
  • i don't like to leave the token's name in the time picker.
  • etc...

Ciao.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

We can't put together this kind of information.
For me,I have summarized it as a Japanese blog.
What should we do?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

We're all here to learn together.

Now Splunk>Answers isn't like that.
Only people who want to solve their problems ask questions and don't know what other people are doing.

I guess there's nothing you can do about it.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

I feel Splunk Answers does solve We're all here to learn together. I had been active on Splunk Answers for past 4 years, and every single day I have spent on Splunk Answers I have definitely learnt something new. Sometimes we do use Splunk Answers to log our answers similar to blog but with history so that version specific changes can also be documented.

If you have other expectation/views you can definitely mention!

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

Thank you for replying to something like this rant.

I was fed up with a lot of questions that people other than the questioner didn't understand at all, because there was no one to present the log these days and it was only a query.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/822035/how-to-increase-chart-column-number-more-than-3000.html

It's not right to use it for something like this in the first place.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@to4kawa use case is a use case. We would not be able to recommend more than 1000 data points in a chart as we would not be able to interpret. But there could be ML/IoT/Research based use cases where 4K*3K correlation is required to be visualized. So this is not a question of worst practice, it is a question on use case!

This is the answer where I have made that recommendation: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/821286/horizontal-scroll-bar-in-column-chart.html#answer-820293

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I see. That's certainly true.

It is decided by join.

p.s.

| makeresults count=3000
| streamstats count
| transpose 0 header_field=count
| appendpipe [|makeresults count=5000
| streamstats count]
| filldown

Is there a computer that can run this?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

That's why best practices.

A chain of only Map-Reduce commands can leverage processing of reduced data set on each Search Peer. Divide and Conquer 🙂 https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Writebettersearches#Parallel_processing_e...

On my personal laptop I ran following SPL to generate 15M events: This search has completed and has returned 15,000,000 results by scanning 0 events in 95.403 seconds

| makeresults count=5000
| streamstats count as sno
| eval label="event_".sno, event=mvrange(1,3001,1)
| stats count by event label
| eval label=label."_".event,data=random()
| fields label data

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

shivanshu1593
Builder

Hello my friend,

Your post have been the most insightful. I'll like to add one thing. I recommend Bloodhound app for Splunk to my customers, which specifically designed for identifying user's bad practices , in order to enhance the performances in their environment. A great app to look at what you're looking.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3541/

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I didn't know that.
Thank you. @shivanshu1593

0 Karma

shivanshu1593
Builder

No worries, my friend.

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###
0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Along these lines Search Activity , also my own app Alerts for Splunk Admins has a few alerts/reports for detecting worst practices such as index=* or similar...

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

https://conf.splunk.com/watch/conf-online.html?search=worst# has a list of things... but not really focussed on SPL.

https://conf.splunk.com/watch/conf-online.html?search=fn1003# has filtering bad practices and how to avoid them.
https://conf.splunk.com/session/2015/conf2015_MMueller_Consist_Deploying_OptimizingSplunkKnowledge.p... has knowledge objects / CIM normalization bad practices and how to avoid them. [side note, recent versions aren't as bad as it used to be]

On the topic of event correlation there's also this: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/129424/how-to-compare-fields-over-multiple-sourcetypes-without-jo...

Can you tell me what's wrong with this way of using it?

Wrong with what way in particular?

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I wouldn't say "don't use transaction", I'd say "use transaction for appropriate cases with smart settings". The docs flowchart you linked to covers some of this.
In addition to the flowchart, if you have a very high cardinality ID with very short durations a transaction ID startswith=something will be faster than a stats by ID because transaction can discard completed IDs from memory while stats has to keep all of them in memory indefinitely.

I also wouldn't say "don't use join", I'd say "use join for appropriate cases". The answers link I posted covers a lot of this.
There are cases where join is the right answer, for example you have a complex search that gets some additional fields from a fast tstats. Trying to merge the two into one OR-stats-search often is counterproductive, and a pattern of search | complex stuff | stats | join [tstats] can be the best solution.

In short, it depends.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I don't want to ban them all myself.
But there are too many wrong uses of it.

For example,
First: transaction the mail log.
we can't get results no matter how long it takes.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

Thanks @martin_mueller
That's using timechart in comparison to a week ago, I guess.

The reason I asked this question this time is,

what do I do with transaction | join?

I say No, you don't have to use that.

I think it's because a lot of beginners ask questions, but I wonder if we can do something about it.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/Abouteventcorrelation

The material is there, but it's not in a place for a novice to look.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @to4kawa,
i didn't find a worst practice guide and I'm agree that it could be useful, especially for the new entries: e.g. all the people that worked with SQL and approach Splunk, start using join command in searches!
Anyway a worst practices is surely the opposite of a best practice, and I didn't find a structured guide neither to this, only some hints in a course that I followed at the beginning.
And in addition, i don't think that someone in Splunk can say that there's a worst practice: it isn't a good marketing approach!

In my experience, I try to avoid some features for performace reasons or symply to have a more readable code, these are the main worst practices I avoid:

• I try to avoid transaction and join commands every time I can and this is the main worst prectice!
  • I usually use append (with attention to the number of subsearch results) without problems.
  • I don't like automatic lookups so as not to lose the thread of logic of a search.
  • I don't like to use DB-Connect (I use it only if I'm forced!) for security reasons and I prefer to use an export of data on a file.

Then there's something else, but less important:

• i don't like to use Field Extractor, I prefer to create fields using regexes.
  • i don't like to have different different eval for each field transformation, I prefer to have one eval.
  • i don't like to leave the token's name in the time picker.
  • etc...

Ciao.
Giuseppe

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

Thank you @gcusello

This may be it, but I'll wait a little longer.

help @woodcock
I became who I am because you told me『 not to use the `transaction'.』

and @kamlesh_vaghela

I remember the first time I tried your query, I thought, "Wow".
Do you have an opinion?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...