Splunk Search

Is it safe to make a folder in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/run/dispatch?

matutter4
Explorer

I'm writing a custom search command filter that's designed to use pythons tempfile.gettempdir. I see that Splunk uses the environment variable which gettempdir returns as the location for Splunk's dispatch directory. I also want to use the value of gettempdir to make a single folder and write files into that folder.

Is it safe to use the dispatch directory set by Splunk for my own uses? Is it safe if I only use folder's that don't conflict with Splunk's dispatch naming conventions?

0 Karma
1 Solution

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Really, it's against the best practice of any software. For supportability, you don't want this kind of dual purpose locations.

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Really, it's against the best practice of any software. For supportability, you don't want this kind of dual purpose locations.

matutter4
Explorer

I did a few tests with using the tempfile.gettempdir and it worked fine without any issues. I didn't try to use a path that is used by splunk within the dispatch directory but I imagine that would causes issue. As @ddrillic said it isn't a good practice; and so I just replaced the use of gettempdir with a variable read with splunk.splunklib.cli_common.getConfKeyValue from a config file when my search-command runs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...