Splunk Search

Is it possible to name the main search and the subsearch to distinguish which search produced which values in a table?

Explorer

Dear all,

I have a following search

host="1.1.1.1" VPN=A | join IP [search host="1.1.1.1" VPN=b] table _time,username

May I know is it possible give a name to the main search and sub search, such as searchA and searchB. so when I create a table, I can call out searchA._time and searchB._time

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

Communicator

Hi ,

You can try something like this to extract the _time value from main search or sub search .

host="1.1.1.1" VPN=A | eval OuterTime=_time| join IP [search host="1.1.1.1" VPN=b | eval InnerTime=_time ] table _time,username
OuterTime InnerTime

For such requirement, I would prefer to use stats command as it is much faster.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Communicator

Hi ,

You can try something like this to extract the _time value from main search or sub search .

host="1.1.1.1" VPN=A | eval OuterTime=_time| join IP [search host="1.1.1.1" VPN=b | eval InnerTime=_time ] table _time,username
OuterTime InnerTime

For such requirement, I would prefer to use stats command as it is much faster.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Explorer

thanks a lot. It seems work but the time show sequence number. do you know why

0 Karma

Communicator

Hi ,

The time format will be epoch timestamp and you need to convert to Human readable format using below command.

your search .. |convert timeformat="%Y %b %d %H:%M:%S:%3N" ctime(OuterTime) ctime(InnerTime)

Hope this resolves your query.

Additionally if this solves your query, please mark this thread as answered.

0 Karma

Explorer

It works. Thanks a lot

0 Karma

Legend

You cannot name a search by you can achieve what you're looking for by renaming the fields in each of the searches, like so.

host="1.1.1.1" VPN=A | eval searchA_time=_time | join IP [search host="1.1.1.1" VPN=b | eval searchB_time=_time | fields searchB_time ] table searchA_time searchB_time username
0 Karma