Splunk Search

Is it possible to feed splunk a file and use values from it in a search?

dstonecypher
Engager

I need to search for a list of values for a specific field. How can I do this? The list needs to be dynamic.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Okay, I just thought of a reasonable interpretation for your question. If the question is:

I have a list of values that I need to search for:

error22

error374

error29

This list changes regularly. I need to search Splunk for occurrences of these values.

I don't want to type (error22 OR error374 or error29 ...) in the search box; it is too long and changes too often.

Can I tell Splunk to search for this list of values from a file instead?

Then the answer is still yes: use a lookup table. There is a tutorial on lookups in the manual. Put the list in a .csv and create the lookup table. Then you can use the table to search by giving the following command:

yourothersearchcriteria [ | inputlookup yourlookupname ]

Whenever you need to change the criteria, you can simply upload a fresh copy of the .csv file,

lguinn2
Legend

Note that this is NOT doing a lookup! It is actually using the inputlookup command as part of a subsearch.

0 Karma

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Yes.

If you want more help than that, you will have to provide more detail in your question!

If you can provide a few events from the file (sanitized of course) and an example of what you want to search for, I am sure the community can help. Oh, and what exactly do you mean by "dynamic"? I assume that you mean the search terms will need to change regularly...

🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...