Splunk Search

Is it possible to dedup a subset of events?

MatMeredith
Path Finder

I have a list of different events, including some events where name="exception". These exception events have stack traces associated with them. I want to remove duplicate exceptions based on their stack_trace field, but I want to keep all non-exception events because I'm going to need them later. Can I do this?

Effectively I want to do: dedup stack_trace where name="exception"

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Karthik252
Observer

Does dedup <field_name> keepempty=true work?

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

One way would be to create a new field that contains either the stack_trace value or a value you're pretty confident would be unique in your data, and then dedup on that.

... | eval foo=if(name=="exception", stack_trace, _time . "::" . host ."::" . name) | dedup foo | ...

You might also be able to mess with transaction or stats values(), but those might compress other fields you want to kep.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can create a "pretty unique" field using ... | streamstats count

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...