Splunk Search

I'm trying to move fields from multi value fields using mvindex. Currently under "time" field I have only 3 values so i am easily moving them as new field. Is there anyway to automate this process without hard coding it?

praneeth2050
Explorer

time = 9:30
10:30
11:30
Currently I am doing this
| eval first.time=mvindex(time, 1), second.time=mvindex(time, 2), third.time=mvindex(time, 3)

This will give me first.time = 9:30, second.time= 10:30, third.time=11:30 fields moved from time field where it is a multivalued field. If i have undefined number of fields under this what should I do to automate it? instead of hardcoding it like | eval first.time=mvindex(time, 1), second.time=mvindex(time, 2), third.time=mvindex(time, 3) fourth.time=mvindex(time,4)............hundred.time=mvindex(time,100)

Tags (1)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults count=100
| streamstats current=f count
| eval time = (random() % 23).":30"
| stats list(time) as time
`comment("this is sample data, please check this")`
| eval counter=mvrange(0,mvcount(time))
| stats list(time) as time by counter
| eval time=mvindex(time,counter)
| sort 0 counter
| transpose 0 header_field=counter column_name=_col
| foreach *
    [rename <<FIELD>> as time_<<MATCHSTR>>]

Hi, @praneeth2050
It's a boring name, but it works.

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

What is the problem are you trying to solve? Creating many fields like this is rarely a good idea.

0 Karma

praneeth2050
Explorer

@niketnilay is it possible to help me out here?

0 Karma

praneeth2050
Explorer

So, I am trying to create a Splunk report with the changes in time and changes in other fields. The data I receive will have multiple time fields. For now i have only 3 time fields. In the future, I may even have 10 or 20-time fields... In the case of hardcoding using mvindex is there any alternative?

PS: I have extracted this multivalued field using REGEX

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...