Splunk Search

I have developed a good search, but need to notify a recovery or alert depending on the output of the search. The difference between the two outcomes is just a couple of lines that I have not been able to configure in a single search

rcole2

Snippet of search
SEARCH
| eval runmacro = if(deltadif="NO","TurnTimeRecovered","TurnTimeWarning")
runmacro

comment(" +++++++++TurnTimeWarning
| where alertnamecount>0
| where alertnamecount=(count+1)
+++++++++++++++ ")

comment(" +++++++++TurnTimeRecovered
| where alertnamecount=0
| head 1
| where count=1
| where deltadif = "NO"
++++++++++++ ")

The macros exist and the comments above are the exact macros. From the 'deltadif' value I need to perform one of the above macros. This runs successfully, but it appears the macro is not executing. When I run each one inline, they function as expected, but require a unique search for each.
Can a variable be set as a macro and be called; if so how? Or is there a better solution?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, like this:

.... | eval runmacro = if(deltadif="NO","`TurnTimeRecovered`","`TurnTimeWarning`")
| map search="search Other Stuff Here | `$runmacro$`"

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, like this:

.... | eval runmacro = if(deltadif="NO","`TurnTimeRecovered`","`TurnTimeWarning`")
| map search="search Other Stuff Here | `$runmacro$`"

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can turn this inside-out and do the same thing with a subsearch:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.3/SearchTutorial/Useasubsearch

The 2 templatizing approaches are map and subsearch.

0 Karma

rcole2

That's what I wasn't considering -- running separate search. Thanks for the guidance; it does appear to give me what I'm looking for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...