Splunk Search

How we can extract Windows Event description instead of Raw data which only give info of Event ID?

afraanajam
Loves-to-Learn Everything

How we can extract Windows Event description instead of Raw data which only give info of Event ID..Is it possible to extract exact event info..

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahh, the (in)famous windows events 😉

It's a tricky beast to handle. In general, windows event consists of several well-structured fields (that's what you get in the "System" part of the event), some EventData part which varies between different kinds of events and that's it. It's well structured, it can be ingested by TA-windows as either "old" format or XML. And that's pretty much all there is in the event itself. You can see it in the "details" tab in event viewer.

PickleRick_0-1649148932911.png

If you'd use any other popular log retrieving mechanics (like rsyslog windows agent, kiwi syslog server or any other such solution), you'd also only get that data.

I suppose what you're referring to as "Event description" is the rendition of the event data in the eventviewer which means this (this is the same event):

PickleRick_1-1649148974247.png

Unfortunately, that's not stored anywhere in the event itself and is not easily queryable from the event log.

It's a rendition of specific event done by eventviewer using registered DLL libraries according to the event properties. The description is not contained within the event itself (as you can see on the first screenshot).

Which makes sense since - for example - text descriptions may vary between language versions of windows whereas the raw event data is still the same - it's still Event 7001 regardless of whether it's displayed in English, Polish, Japanese or whatever other language Windows supports.

If you somehow managed to be able to render the event data into the "description" text as you call it, you'd still have to make your own script/program to pull the data from the event log and push it somehow to splunk. There is no ready-made solution for this. And there is a good reason - as I said before - the event codes and identifiers are constant across all installations and you're looking for EventID 4672 you're looking for the same action regardless of what language your windows uses. Imagine creating a search that would work on any language version of windows log if it was to search by the text representation of this event. That would be ridiculous.

0 Karma

afraanajam

Thanks for the reply..

I mean exact event info as below instead of RAW data which got no info which can be understand..

Event 1069 : Cluster resource '%1' in clustered role '%2' failed.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @afraanajam,

you should ask this to Microsoft!

Anyway, this is the wineventlog format and it isn't possible (for my knoledge) to take them in a different format.

You could preparse the windows logs using a script but it's a very hard work!

The only thing that you can do (and I hint because I did it many times) to reduce license consuption ingesting WinEventLogs is to discard some unuseful events because there are many events like those!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

afraanajam

Splunk is extracting the windows event logs but its presenting in RAW format which is not readable except the useful info is event id..

My question was instead of RAW data which splunk understandable language, can we extract exact event details from server..

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @afraanajam,

what do you mean with "Windows Event description"?

I think that Windows Event Logs are much verbose.

If you want to reduce the license consuption, you could filter your data filtering (before indexing) your data taking only the relevant for you data and discarding the others (for more details see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad), or you could also delete a not relevant part of each event taking only thge relevant parts (for more details see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Data/Anonymizedata).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...