Splunk Search

How to write regex to extract my field?

tlow
Explorer

Hi, i'm try using the interactive field extractor tools create a field for this

"Exception Message"="Thread was being aborted."

but getting following error "The generated regex was unable to match all examples (e.g., =, Thread was being aborted., Exception Message). Consider entering different examples, or manually editing the regex."

any suggestion a regex syntax or how to auto detect the field it?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you're asking about extracting the field name along with the field value, you can do that with a combination of props.conf and transforms.conf:

props.conf

[your_sourcetype]
REPORT-kv = extract_quoted_fields

transforms.conf

[extract_quoted_fields]
REGEX = "(?<_KEY_1>([^"]|\\")+)"\s*=\s*"(?<_VAL_1>([^"]|\\")+)"

Make sure my Q'n'D regex actually suits your data, didn't test it myself. The main thing is to use the magic _KEY_x and _VAL_x names to extract both field names and field values in one swoop.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For Search time

your base search | rex field=_raw "\"Exception Message\"=\"(?<ExceptionMessage>[^\"]*)\""

In Props.conf

EXTRACT-exceptionmsg = \"Exception Message\"=\"(?<ExceptionMessage>[^\"]*)\"

tlow
Explorer

works great, but how to setup it up so that splunk automatic recognize fields based on

"Exception Message"="*"

for example splunk recognize this Source=OAA.Security.PassiveSTS.Shell automatic assigning "Source" as the field,
thank-you for your help

0 Karma

tlow
Explorer

"Exception Message"="Thread was being aborted.", Source=OAA.Security.PassiveSTS.Shell, TargetSite="Void SignOutRequest()", WindowsIdentity="IIS APPPOOL\Test.com"

Above is the logs, but splunk auto assign the field to "Source" ,"TargetSite" and "WindowsIdentity" but not "Exception Message" or maybe the "

i want extract exception message "Exception Message"="*" or better to have it in props.conf to auto assign it.
thanks

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you post some complete sample events, along with the what string to extract?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...