Splunk Search

How to write regex to extract multiple email addresses into one field where each email is followed by an IP address?

gsawyer1
Engager

I want to extract a field that has multiple email addresses, each one followed by an IP address, all of which appear at the very end of a MS Windows event. My ultimate goal is to capture all of the email addresses in one field, up to the end of the event, but then remove the IP addresses, so I am left with just the email addresses. My regexes so far will not capture beyond the first "Authorized Recipient" email address, and there could a hundred or more recipient addresses listed, depending on the size of a distro list.
Here's a sample of the event, with the exact formatting for how Splunk displays it in search results:

Time
               LogName=etc
               EventCode=etc
               etc etc
               Message=Message Validation Success

This action was requested by blah.blah@blah.com.    (-no problem extracting these other values to fields)

Message Subject:

blah

Other info:

blah blah

blah text blah.

Authorized Recipients:

blah1.blah@blah.com        (000.000.000.000)     (- this is an IPv4 address)
                                  blah2.blah@blah.com        (000.000.000.000)    
                                  blah3.blah@blah.com        (000.000.000.000)
                                  etc, etc, etc.....

Here's the pertinent portion of my latest regex:
rex "(?m)Authorized\sRecipients:\s+(?P.*)"

...but it only captures the first email address and IP under recipients. I want to capture all of them, regardless how many are listed.
I'm still a regex newbie, but I know the capture should be greedy, up to the end of the event.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

your base search  |  rex field=_raw "Recipients:\s+(?P<DataPortion>.*)" | rex field=DataPortion "(?P<EMAIL>\S+)\s+\((?P<IPADDRESS>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)\)" max_match=0
0 Karma

gsawyer1
Engager

This gives me the same issue again. I think I get what you suggested...perform another regex on the "DataPortion" field after it has been extracted. But all this gave me was the same data - the first address and IP address only. I still think I need to make the regex greedy enough to just capture all of the email addresses, from the first one to any others that follow, to the end of the event - although the regex you suggest will help afterwards, once I have the capture, to strip the IP address off of the "DataPortion" field, which I actually won't need.....

0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator

Use max_match = 0, which will extract multiple values for a regex expression.

rex field=_raw "Recipients:\s+(?P<EMAIL>\S+)\s+\((?P<IPADDRESS>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)\)" max_match=0
0 Karma

gsawyer1
Engager

Could the issue be that the "Recipients: " portion is not repeated more than once? The boundary, after the first recipient, changes from "Recipients: email@blah.com (IPaddress)" to just "email@blah.com (IPaddress)", repeated. Should I capture the first instance, and then look for other instances afterward? This would be conditional, as there may or may not be any additional addressees to follow.

0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator

Yes, That would be the reason. Try the somesoni2 method. That should work. Or else try this

rex field=_raw "\s+(?P<Email>\S+@\S+)\s+\((?P<IPADDRESS>\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)\)"
0 Karma

gsawyer1
Engager

No joy. The regex is still only capturing the first email recipient as the EMAIL field, even though I'm sending to multiple addresses.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...