Splunk Search

How to write an expression that extracts only the first three letters of a string?

mayank101

I have a different string named:

1.  GBP:BOOT1STSUNMONTH_MAINT2
2.  AMP:BOOT1STSATMONTH_MAINT4
3.  AMP:USFIMBSWEEKENDSVRSTOP_REBOOT_POSTCHECK_Box

I want to write an expression that extracts only the first three letter of the string and then store AMP, AMS into 1 entity named as AS, other GBP into another entity named EU.
Can you please help me in writing an expression for this, I am quite new to Splunk.

0 Karma

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi

Try this

| makeresults 
| eval test="GBP:BOOT1STSUNMONTH_MAINT2,AMP:BOOT1STSATMONTH_MAINT4,AMP:USFIMBSWEEKENDSVRSTOP_REBOOT_POSTCHECK_Box" 
| makemv delim="," test 
| mvexpand test 
| rex field=test "(?P<result>^.{0,3})" 
| eval AS = if(result=="AMP" OR result == "AMS", result,"") 
| eval EU = if(result=="GBP", result,"")
0 Karma

mayank101

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for the prompt response but the problem is there are many such strings .Its not just these. There are around 1000 of strings that start with AMP or GBP under the field name called entity.I cant incorporate all the strings in the eval test function. Could you help in this case.

0 Karma

vnravikumar
Champion

For sample purpose, I had mentioned those string in test, replace the same with the actual field in the index

0 Karma

mayank101

index="nmr-eis-gl-sysm-amber"
(publisher="gl_autosys_az" entity="*boot" ).My initial query is this..so you want me to replace those string with index ("nmr-eis-gl-sysm-amber" ).So I'm query I will be using index two times

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...