Splunk Search

How to write a regular expression to filter out any data after a second semi-colon per line?

newbiesplunk
Path Finder

Hi,

I have a file that contains the following format and I wish to only index information before the 1st two semi-colons and remove the data after the 2nd semi-colon. thks

original files:

abc;3244;19Jul2015 12:32;
ab1;testing 123;19/07/2015 12:32

To be forwarded to indexer:

abc;3244
ab1;testing 123
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this in props.conf:

SEDCMD-something = s/^([^;]*;[^;]*).*$/\1/g

Note, if you want to change the event before it's forwarded you will need to use a heavy forwarder.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this in props.conf:

SEDCMD-something = s/^([^;]*;[^;]*).*$/\1/g

Note, if you want to change the event before it's forwarded you will need to use a heavy forwarder.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As in "remember previous events and only send different ones"?

No, as of now Splunk can't do that. You're limited to all the power of regular expressions, which do not have that kind of memory.
However, you can write your searches to deal with potential duplicates / events with no new interesting information.

0 Karma

newbiesplunk
Path Finder

Hi,
Not sure if splunk is able to do it, if i want the event to be forwarded to splunk index only when there is changes in the info before the 1st semi-colon? thks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...